Nineteen

The Test

I hugged my pillow as I heard Luke, Nick, and Kenny yelling back and forth about me. Ivy was in my room hugging me. Her and I are sort of friends also. We have talked it out and she said she wouldn't ever be with a guy who does that to his girlfriend, so she "dumped" him.

"Clem it's going to be okay. You'll be okay. We have Carlos and he'll help you and Luke is your best friend so he'll help you also. I smiled when she said Luke and I were best friends. I rolled over with a huge grin on my face.

"Luke and I are more than friends."

"Oh my god, really!?" She smiled.

"Yeah we kissed this morning before he left."

"Clementine you're getting all the guys, save some for me geez." She chuckled. "It's not surprising though. You're beautiful."

"Stop." I chuckled.

"No, really. You're so pretty. You're going to have a beautiful baby. I hope she looks like you."

"I hope it's a She also."

We giggled, then the door burst open. I looked behind me. It was Luke.

"Clementine, we've got to go. Kenny is raging and I think he needs time to cool off." He picked me up and set me down on the ground.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Carlos said there's a convenience store in town and they should have pregnancy tests there." He told me.

I looked over at Ivy. "You want to come?" I asked.

"Sure." She smiled. She walked around the bed and followed us downstairs.

"Woah where do you think you're taking her, farm boy?" Kenny yelled at Luke.

"We're going out and you can't stop her." Luke yelled right back.

"Kenny it's okay. I won't be long." Kenny's expression softened.

Luke dragged me out the front door where Nick was waiting for us. The four of us walked down the stairs of the ski lodge and into the yard.

"So the convenience store I guess is just right through these woods." Luke said. "We can make a couple miles." He chuckled.

————

I felt Luke brush back some hairs from my eyes and his fingers graze my jawline. My eyes fluttered open. I was getting tired so he had started to carry me and I guess I fell asleep.

"We're here." He told me. I smiled as he put me down. I had never grown past my height at thirteen so I was pretty short compared to Luke. It was getting dark out, the sun had set but it was still a little light out.

Luke and I went into the store and Ivy and Nick took watch. Nick handed Luke the backpack he brought so we could also get as many supplies as we could. Luke loaded it with medical supplies like pain killers and gauze. The store was almost completely wiped out besides this shelf. I looked around and spotted a pink and purple box on the floor. I picked it up and looked at it. Just my luck, it was a pregnancy test. I read the box. It said it comes with two and it has results in just three minutes.

I smiled and went over to Luke. "Look what I found." My ears perked when I heard feet on the ground, I looked over and saw Ivy and Nick running over to us.

"Guys there's something out there. It's not a walker, but it's not human." Ivy whispered.

Luke went over to the window, his grew wide. We followed him and I looked where he was looking. It was walker sized and looked like a walker but it had growths all over its face. It was just standing there doing nothing. All of a sudden a bird flew down beside it, it's head snapped and it puked up blood. The blood covered the bird and it dropped dead instantly. The thing picked the bird up, opened its mouth, and gobbled it up.