Chapter 13: May the quiet night be one

Onyx continued to drive down the road that leads to Mt. Nantai. She then goes off the road to drive onto the dirt since the road would lead down a cliff. So, defying the laws of the road, and so goes off-road. She continued to drive through the deserted meadows and partially a desert of a mountain. She was heading toward the location where they needed to go, and that was that abandoned laboratory. However, Onyx had second thoughts about bringing two idols to the whole ordeal with her, but she can't turn back now. They have seen the horror already, and Onyx can't fix it.

Onyx continued to drive until she sees a very old abandoned shack sticking out of the butt crack of the desert. She headed over there and stopped the car once she was close enough to inspect it. She saw that it was a two-story home, made of wood and brick, and it had boards over the windows and the place was in rough shape. Like it would fall apart if they even stepped one foot in there.

So, Onyx leaves the car, shuts it off, and locks it, so no one can open it. She pulled out a hand-made pistol that she crafted when she went to the ocean, and during her trips, she would go to Grizzco just to work for a bit, but half of the time she was finding junk, and eating eggs. She cocks the gun so it's loaded and slowly heads to the house. 

The inside was very old and the smell of dust was strong and something that she couldn't put her finger on, and continued to search the house to see if it was safe to stay for the night. She checked the rooms, bathrooms, attic, closets, and even the basement. However, when she went to search the basement, it had a very rotten smell to it. her nose scrunched from the foul odor, like her movements, were now slower. She also felt uneasy, like she wasn't alone down there because a noise was then present in the room.

She then turned around to the noise and saw a figure. The figure looked gangly and the claws shimmered in the light of Onyx's phone light. The figure then let out a screech and lunged forward to Onyx, which she then shot in its knee and chest. It tripped and fell onto the floor as blood and ink gushed out of the shot areas. The octoling lets out a pained moan-like growl as it reaches its clawed hand out to Onyx where she points the gun to its head.

But before Onyx pulled the trigger, in the nick of time, the crazed zombified octoling spoke.

"...Tas...uk...ete..." The octoling was then shot in the head and it fell to the floor and was limp. The body dried out immediately, crusting over and becoming stiff as a statue.

"I just did..." Onyx answered the plea to the now-dead octoling on the floor. She then leaves the basement and locks it. 

She sighed softly and a wave of guilt washed over her. How did she hear the sentient dead body of someone talking? Most of the zombified Inklings and octolings that she has encountered never talked, what came out was vicious growling and snarls, similar to what a canine would make. She then leaves the house and unlocks the car. She looked at the sleeping idols and began to question if she should leave them here and sleep or go inside the house and sleep. However, she chose the second suggestion and then snapped her fingers onto Pearl's ear.

The smaller inkling who was cuddling the taller octoling in her small arms begins to wake up. Groaning in annoyance, her golden eyes reveal themselves from her closed eyelids like curtains revealing the character onto a stage. She looked to the source that woke her up and saw Onyx's tense eyes stare back at her.

"Hey Pearl, you awake yet?" Onyx asked and patiently waited for the half-asleep inkling.

"I am now," Pearl spoke with a husky tone after being woken up from her slumber. "Whatcha want now?" Pearl yawned sleepily as Onyx checked the area left and right.

"I have found us a shack for us to sleep in. It's like two stories high, so I think it's enough for three people. Now get up and wake up Marina. You can go back to sleep when I find both of you a bed to sleep on." Onyx finished as she headed towards the house. Pearl huffed a bit and she gently shook Marina awake, which aroused the octoling enough to be woken up in her deep slumber.

"...Mmm... Pearlie... Five... More minutessss..." Marina's husky tone of voice when being woken up, always made Pearl shiver a little and also blush. It was sorta a guilty pleasure that she had, but she had to hide it.

"Hey Rina, Onyx found us a place to sleep. Come on, and get up. You can go straight to bed afterward, OK?" Pearl said with some comfort in her voice, just to assure that Marina could rest once more once there was a bed to sleep on. Marina's emerald eyes finally opened, looking down at Pearl.

The position that they were in was that Pearl was on top and Marina was on the bottom. Marina's arms wrapped around Pearl's waist, gently pressing her against her torso, and Pearl had a leg that was wrapped around her leg as well. Pearl had to get up, so Marina could get up as well. 

Once in the house, Onyx dusted off some pillows and sheets off of a bed from upstairs for both Pearl and Marina to use, since there wasn't a second bedroom in the house. The house was two stories, only made for two people who were gonna be like house buddies. Once done, Onyx went downstairs to sleep on the couch and placed the guns on the table beside her if anything happened.

Pearl and Marina both slept on opposite sides of the bed, so it wasn't so awkward for both of them. However, as the night goes on, it is almost four in the morning when Pearl shoots up from the bed that she's sharing with Marina. She was covered in a cold sweat, and she had been crying too. She had 'that' dream again. She wanted to scream from having that dream again, seeing Marina like that. But instead, it wasn't just Marina, she was surrounded by a bunch of other infected inklings, all having that crazed look in their soulless eyes. Marina had her arms held out with a dead smile on her face. Pearl wanted that horrid image of Marina from her memories to go away.

However, not long after, the octoling beside her wakes up, wondering why Pearl is awake once more.