Chapter 6. The book

Ohhhh, wooooow. I can't. This is actually amazing. I don't know what else to say AHHHHH-

 I don't know what else to say AHHHHH-

Okayokayokayokay, calm down, me. By the way, a quick question: am I making Carter too nice?

"I'm guessing I have to go there now?" Josh thought aloud, his voice shaking a little bit.
"Yes, I think so too." Carter nodded. "Should I go with you?"
"Ellen?" Josh looked at Ellen. She was no longer standing beside the table. Instead, she was pacing back and forth, from one side of the room to the other, deep in thought.
"Ellen!" John said a little louder. "Is something wrong?"
"It's obvious to do them all in order..." Ellen stopped pacing and looked and Josh and Carter. "But why don't we open them all first?"
Carter and Josh stared at Ellen as she ran up to the table and started unfolding the figures. After a minute or so she sighed.
"So you have to be brave," She pointed at Josh. "suffer, sacrifice something, kill someone and sacrifice yourself... to save Ashley..."
"What?!" Josh exclaimed, wide-eyed. "I have to..."
Carter looked at the ground. He suddenly remembered Ethan Mars. He understood him now. The father was doing the trials to save his son! Carter almost felt guilty now. There was a little 'thud' which jerked him out of his thoughts. Carter, Josh and Ellen all turned around to see what caused the noise.
It was a book. It fell out of the bookshelf near the door that was still opened. 'That couldn't just fall out.' Carter thought. 'Did go through that door?'. As if she read his thoughts, Ellen rushed to the door and closed it. Josh picked up the book and Carter was able to glance at it. He froze. It was the same book from the shop!
"Hey, that's..." Carter started, pointing at the book.
"Oh, yeah." Josh scratched the back of his head with his left hand. "A friend of mine died a long time ago and I bought this book to remember him. Why are you asking?"
"How long ago?" Carter raised his eyebrows. This was interesting.
"About thirty years." Josh said.
"So you were kids when you were friends, huh?" Carter asked. "Who was he?"
"His name was John. John Sheppard." Josh smiled sadly, then his smile faded and he stared at the ground. "He... he drowned at a construction site. I think his brother tried to help him, but their dad wouldn't listen."
"What about the brother?"
"I didn't know him much. He was much more quiet and shy than his brother. I'm pretty sure he had some sort of sickness or something. I don't remember."
'Sickness, huh? I wonder which one, that would've helped.' Carter thought.
"Well, uh, thanks for talking." He said. "I think that's everything."
"Wait!" Ellen sprinted up to him with a piece of paper. "Can you please write your phone number? Just in case we find anything?"
"Fine." Carter sighed. He took the paper and wrote his phone number on it. He turned around and saw a little coffee table near the couch with magazines, books and coffee stains. There was also a name card in it. The name 'Scott Shelby' was written on it. Was that the detective Ellen was talking about? Carter ignored it and said goodbye to Mr and Ms Schneider. He left the house and quickly walked to his car, tying his best not to get wet from the heavy rain.
"I found some information about John Sheppard's father while you were talking." Jayden said when Carter put ARI on. "We could go there."
"Yeah, we can." Carter looked away. "But I want to visit a... 'friend' first. He might know something."
"You have friends?" Jayden smirked.
"Shut up." Carter grumbled.
Carter started driving and Jayden looked out the window.
"Does it rain this much every fall?" Jayden asked thoughtfully, half to himself.
"The Origami Killer wouldn't be here otherwise." Carter shrugged. "You're probably used to the weather all the way in Washington, huh?"
Jayden nodded, still staring out the window.
After a while, Carter finally broke the silence.
"We're here."
"Are you going to tell him about... you know?" Jayden put two fingers on his temple.
"Nah." Carter shrugged.
He took off ARI and left the car. He entered the apartment building and started going up the stairs. When he made it to the right floor, he sighed and knocked on the wooden wide door. He heard some noises and after a few moments the door opened and Carter was greeted with a familiar face.
"Carter?" Scott raises his eyebrows. "What are you doing here?"