Chapter 9. The first trial

(So, my phone broke, that's why I haven't been active lately. But it's okay now! :) )
Carter got there as fast as he could. He put his gun in his pocket, just in case. He sighed and impatiently knocked on the door. The moment he did, it opened and Ellen was standing there.
"Oh, thank goodness, you're here!" She said, pushing Carter in the house and taking off his coat. Looks like he didn't need his gun after all. Did the Schneiders find something? But then, Ellen wouldn't be so worried.
Ellen guides him to the living room. Carter stopped in shock. It was much more different than he would imagine.
Josh was lying on the couch, unconscious. There were several bruises on his face and chest (Ellen took his shirt off, which was hanging from a chair nearby). There was also a big wound on his face, from his nose and across his left cheek, but it seemed that it was taken care of by Ellen.
"What the hell happened to him?" Carter asked while sitting down on the chair with Josh's shirt.
Ellen gulped.
"Yesterday he couldn't sleep all night." She dipped her head. "He said he kept thinking about the trials. This morning he left, saying he wanted to do one of those. Then he came back like this and passed out..."
"And you don't know what happened to him, right?" Carter glanced away, then looked back at Ellen.
"I think I do, actually..." she sighed. "I was watching the news after taking care of his wound, right before I called you. It said that there was a car that drove against the traffic for about five miles, then it flew over the barrier and crashed." She looked at Josh, who seemed to start waking up. She turned back to Carter. "It... it could be him..."
"Did he come back with empty hands?" Carter tried to prevent his mind to imagine what happened. "Or was there anything with him?"
"He... he was holding that phone." Ellen walked up to the door. There was a small cabinet with books on it. She took something from it and walked back to Carter, taking a seat on the couch. She showed him the phone. But before he could take it, he was interrupted by a sudden cough. Ellen and Carter turned their heads toward Josh. He had woken up and was sitting and coughing.
"Oh, thank goodness, you're okay!" She hugged him when he stopped coughing. "I was so worried!"
Josh nodded, still unable to speak. He saw Carter and Ellen went to the kitchen.
"Can you tell me what happened?" Carter asked.
Josh shook his head. But he stopped, then nodded. Ellen came back with two cups of coffee. She gave one to Josh and the other one to Carter. They both said 'thanks'. Josh took a few gulps, then sighed.
"I went to do one of the trials..." He looked at the coffee table in front of him. There was a crumpled up piece of paper. "It said to go to a garage and get a car... I sat in the car and found a GPS. There was already a destination, so I drove there..."
He shook his head, it probably was very scary for him.
"Then... then it said something..." Josh looked up at the ceiling. "I had to go against the road for five miles... then I fell... but I succeeded."
He pointed at the phone that was still in Carter's hands. Carter gave it to him and he turned it on. There was a message. The same blank spaces, except some of them filled.
"What about the other trials?" Ellen asked. "Will... will you do them too?"
Josh stared at her for a few seconds, then leaned back.
"I... I can't... I'm sorry." Josh whispered, shaking.