Beta-Test

Asuna led her friend to her fiancé's department (who she was counting on for backup in dealing with Kazuta), careful to keep her steady and not lead her into anything. Kazuta's eyes were shaded by the dark sunglasses and her headphones were firmly on her head.

Suguha, Kazuta's sister, was extremely helpful in helping Asuna learn how to deal with Kazuta's problem. She learned about the morning routine, the sunglasses, the headphones...And she'd begun implementing it, helping her to get Kazuta out more. It took a bit to get used to, but she saw for herself how it did help Kazuta get around calmly and help her calm down when she did start freaking out.

"Almost there!" Asuna cheerfully said, leading the other girl to the doorway at the end. Once there, she knocked and was let in by Nobuyuki.

The two of them barely traded looks at each other, but he did take Kazuta from her and brought her over to a couch. They kept the shades, but Nobuyuki removed the headphones. Kazuta took a shuddering breath but seemed calm for the moment.

"School's almost over," Asuna said in relief. "We'll have a nice break in front of us, Kazuta!"

Kazuta took a few moments to focus on her breathing. "Yeah, that would be really nice. I might try out some new RPGs and maybe see if I can beat all of them over the break."

Asuna hmmed, eying her. "How about meeting us for lunch or something every now and then?" She gave a glance at Nobuyuki.

"I personally would really like that," Nobuyuki said smoothly, smiling widely as if Kazuta was looking his way.

Asuna rolled her eyes. "Well, there's also the whole beta-testing thing you might be interested in."

"Beta-testing?" Kazuta tilted her head.

"You heard about Sword Art Online, right? That Kayaba Akihiko finally created a playable version and that the Full Dive technology is going to be used for it? I know you're interested in that stuff and that you've been really keen on that game and the Full Dive tech, plus that interest of yours in Kayaba himself. You should try out for it!"

Kazuta shifted on the couch for a few seconds. "I don't know..."

Asuna opened her mouth to keep encouraging her, when Nobuyuki cut in, annoying her.

"Asuna's right; you'd enjoy it. It'll be a nice little experience for you," he said and though she was still annoyed, she was begrudgingly glad for the backup.

"I...I guess?" Kazuta said hesitantly. "...It couldn't help to try..."

Even if she was hesitant, Asuna still counted it as a victory.

~*~

After her visit with Asuna to Nobuyuki's office, Kazuta actually did apply to be part of the beta-testing. It was a fit of madness though and she regretted it. How could she even last there when she couldn't even comfortably stay with Asuna and Nobuyuki in one place, much less go to a place full of strangers?

Still, it wasn't like she'd get picked. There were millions of others who'd probably applied. Who's to say that she would be one of the lucky ones?

Her aunt entered into her room, carrying mail and smiling widely.

"I think I've got something for you~"

Kazuta's heart stopped and she stared at her aunt and the letter she'd held. No...no way...How could she have been picked? Out of everyone, how did she become one of the lucky ones to be part of the beta-test?

She accepted the envelope from Aunt Midori and opened it slowly, scanning the contents of the letter quickly before reading it slowly a second time. Her breath hitched.