Floating Dreams

Kazuta didn't know how long she spent in the world of Sword Art Online, only knowing that she enjoyed moving through the mostly empty town (save a few NPCs that were a part of the virtual world). She could guess that Akihiko had allowed her into the game early and that the others had yet to get hooked up to the NerveGear and get started.

She wondered about her reaction to the town. She wasn't freaking out or needing to isolate herself —which was odd in itself, considering she was clearly not at home and could see that. She was kind of glad though. She was finally roaming around outside without feeling the need to curl up into a ball and hide herself, even if it was a virtual outside.

If only she could be like this in the real world.

Walking around, she ended up at the large fountain in the middle of the town and thought about the morning. She didn't know what she expected, but meeting her idol (at least so quickly and up close and personal) wasn't it. That and the thought that he wasn't at all what she expected him to be like.

From what she'd seen on TV and on the Internet, he was calm and collected...But she hadn't expected him to seem so kind or gentle. She'd always seen the professional veneer projected in interviews, but having him so affable with her was unexpected.

She tilted her head up and looked up at the sky, closing her eyes and feeling the warmth.

Everything felt so, so real...

When she opened her eyes, it was to the ceiling of the room she was in. She momentarily felt herself panic before a hand moved over her eyes and covered them while the NerveGear was removed from her head.

"Welcome back," Akihiko said softly and she gave him a shaky smile. "How're you feeling?"

"Okay? I mean, coming back, I'm feeling anxious again, but I felt fine in the game."

"...Is that so? Interesting." She heard shuffling. "I don't have a blindfold on hand, but if it'll help you move around to not see your surroundings, would you like to have something covering your eyes?"

"Please," she murmured. "My sister usually covers my eyes with dark shades and my ears with headphones to help me travel to school."

"Really? I'll take note of that. Please close your eyes, Kirito-san."

She kept them closed and felt his hand move away. The next moment she felt some soft cloth covering her eyes and it being tied behind her head.

"Come with me, Kirito-san. I'd like to talk to you about something."

Feeling confused and anxious about what he could want, she inwardly felt dejected as she thought he probably was going to ask her to leave the beta-test because of her problems.

After a few minutes of walking, with Akihiko holding onto her like before, she found herself being sat down and then he was moving away.

"If you can, go ahead and remove your blindfold, Kirito-san."

She hesitated before removing it from her head, glancing at it to realize it had been his tie. What she also noticed was the darkness of the room, which made her not as anxious as she thought she'd be, while seeing the world around her.

"I'm hoping the dark room will help alleviate your anxiety, perhaps emulate a view through 'dark shades,'" he gave her a small smile. He gestured to the room. "This is my office, Kirito-san."

Her eyes widened, but that was nothing to his next words.

"I understand your troubles," he started, "but I believe you would still be a great addition to the beta-test. In fact, I think you would actually be one of the more important additions because of your problems. I think the NerveGear can help you push through your anxiety with being outside and help you manage the stress you experience. And well, I'd like to personally help you in any way I can, as well."