Help Wanted

Nobuyuki scowled into his phone, hanging up. Asuna had called, surprisingly enough, to finally inform him of Kazuta's inclusion into the beta-testing the two of them had nudged the girl towards.

And it was already the day of the beta launch.

Gritting his teeth, he glared out his window. Damn that girl. If only he could be in charge of the whole of RECT without the need of being engaged to that brat...

He wouldn't of minded being married to the likes of Kazuta. At least she was a level-headed, quiet and thoughtful beauty.

He didn't even mind about Kazuta's debilitating condition. In his opinion, he'd more than be able to help her through it. He wouldn't even need the help of the likes of his irritating fiancée.

Even better though, he could create a gilded safe haven to keep her in, keep her gentle and fragile self from harm...

The thought put a smile on his face and made him feel how good a match he could be for Kazuta. If only she wasn't so fascinated by his old classmate and rival though. Whatever she could see in the boring and unemotional person that was Kayaba, should be easily eclipsed by his own magnanimous offerings to her.

Hm, once this beta-testing was done, he should take Kazuta out, this time without Asuna tagging along.

~*~

Her chest was tight still and her breathing was hard to manage. Despite her shock at having the Kayaba Akihiko there in front of her and trying to help her, she was still in the midst of her panic attack. She was unable to focus on him and her eyesight was losing focus as she choked on her breath and felt her eyes let loose a few tears.

"Come here, Miss," he said softly, gently pulling her up and bringing her into the building. "Remember, even breaths."

She did her best to level her breathing, feeling herself struggle. For a brief moment, there was noise of a crowd and then it disappeared as the two of them entered an area that was silent. Feeling the jolt that signified an elevator, she realized that's what they'd entered and why there had suddenly been no more noise after their initial entrance into the building.

From there, with her eyes still shut tight, she felt him lead her off and then heard a door open and close.

"Better?"

She inhaled deeply and opened her eyes. Her breathing was still off, but she was no longer having trouble with it. Still, she shuddered as she saw the large meeting room, empty save for them.

"Here, have some water," and then a glass of cold water was softly pushed into her hands and she took small sips from it, her body calming down but her mind still wavering and wanting to make her run from that room.

It was unfamiliar and not her home, a place she was keenly used to isolating herself in.

Turning to her helper, she finally caught a clearer view of her idol. He was taller than she'd thought he'd be, all long limbs which seemed to suit him and not look lanky. He was wearing a long, white lab coat, which mostly covered his semi-casuals and stopped at his knees. His brown hair was messy on top of his head, the ends of his short hair spiking in different directions. His metallic colored eyes looked kindly at her from his spot near the meeting table.

"I suppose you already know who I am, but an introduction is only polite, isn't it? I'm Kayaba Akihiko, but you may call me Akihiko. How're you feeling now, Miss?'

She examined herself. She wasn't fine. She was never fine outside of her home, not since her grandfather's death. Maybe even before that. While her body was moderately calm, her mind was aching to be home and in the safety of her room or even the dojo.