3 - stay

Paige pov

I was taking Sam out for a walk today. He always liked the weekends because I took him out, whether that was on his bike, or just walking. I sent him off to get ready, knowing he would be a little while. I spent this time getting myself ready. Hair sorted, even though it hardly ever wanted to cooperate, make up on, clothes looking nice and matching. After I finally decided I looked presentable, I went to find Sam. He was in his usual denim jeans, and a t shirt with a jacket over the top.

"Can you gel my hair up the way Brian does it?" He asked, holding the tub of hair gel out towards me. Brian was one of his favourite characters from a kids programme he liked, so I agreed.

"Sure, why don't you take a seat up here?" I lifted him up onto the kitchen counter, and opened the tub of gel. As I began spiking it up, he started talking.

"Where are we going today?" He asked, playing with a small alien figurine.

"We're going for a walk in the park, to a special place I like to go." I said, running my fingers through his spiky hair.

"Okay. Can we take a picnic?" He asked, smiling that little playful smile he always had when he was asking for something.

"Okay then, but you'll have to help me sort it out." I smiled at him, putting the lid back on the tub of gel. He hopped down off the counter, taking the gel and disappearing. I grabbed a picnic basket, and began packing it with foods we both liked.

After a while, we were ready to go. As Sam was getting his shoes on, I went upstairs to my father's room. He was still sat at his desk, piece of paper in front of him, pen poised to write, but no words being formed. As always.

"Dad, I'm taking Sam out for a picnic lunch. I've left you some food in the fridge." I said, wrapping my arms around him quickly. He sighed, and nodded. I then closed the door behind me as I quickly left.

We began to walk around the park, and up a big hill. It was a perfect place, and you could see all the way across the land from a certain point near the top. In fact, you could see the stars at night time, or the clouds in the day. Before mum passed, I used to come here with her, but that was a while ago.

We plonked ourselves onto the grass, and Sam eagerly reached for the basket. That's when I saw a head stick up from the grass. I realised there was a girl laid near us, about a stones throw away.

"Erm...i'm sorry, I didn't know there was anybody here." I mumbled apologetically, as the girl sat up. I recognised her from school, which made it even worse. She smiled.

"No, it's alright. I'm glad someone else appreciates the beauty of this place. In fact, I was just leaving." She stood up, picking up a skateboard.

"No, don't go." I said, and then realised I sounded like an idiot. "Erm, would you like to join us for a picnic?" I asked, gesturing to the food that Sam had layed out.

"Sure, why not?" She smiled, sitting down, and I offered her a cookie.