Prologue

Percy

I was having a pretty crap day before I was whisked away into who-knows-where. Ms Brendo had given me back my results for the midterms and they were not pretty. She recommend I get a tutor; but I am never, ever going to get a tutor at Camp Jupiter. I've seen the people who tutor here. They're all older graduates who have multiple degrees in maths or science or physics but have nothing better to do with their time than teach stupid teenagers (like me) how to do simple addition. They're boring, and add that to my ADHD I would never be able to learn anything from them.

I trudged down the streets of New Rome, dodging the squealing kids that ran past me.

What was I going to tell Annabeth?

She was already a year ahead of me at the university. This was supposed to be my idea; to go to college together and have a normal life. What's she going to do when I inevitably get kicked out? I'm so far behind, it's only a matter of time before someone tells me I'm not good enough. If I was going to be tutored by anyone, I'd pick Annabeth. But she's busy with her own study and if she starts helping me, she'll fall behind and that's the last thing I want.

I passed a cafe at the end of the street before the appartments. Maybe I was destined to be a waiter. It wouldn't be so bad. I mean, I'd have to deal with the odd annoying customer, but it would be alright. I reckon my life has hit that point.

As soon as I started considering the idea, I felt this weird tugging feeling in my stomach. It was strange. Maybe the Fates were telling me that I had the right idea; being a simple waiter would be good for me. But this was worse. Pain erupted under my skin. It was like I was on fire. Like I was being torn apart atom by atom. This wasn't normal. This wasn't the Fates.

My knees wobbled and I stumbled into the wall next to me. Someone passing asked me if I was okay, but I couldn't respond. My ears rung, as if someone had struck a bell right next to them. Something was pulling me away. It was tearing at me. I tried to scream, but my throat was dry.

New Rome blinked out of my vision, replaced with the New York skyline.

I stumbled to the ground as soon the tugging force released me. The grass below me was soft. There was a bird in the distance, singing a high-pitched song. There was hushed chatter behind me, and I turned quickly. There were small clusters of families; a couple of adults, a few children. They all talked like they were confused, like they were looking for someone. I turned my head back to the New York Skyline. Why was I transported here?

It took me a moment to realise.

This wasn't my New York Skyline, the one I had memorised like the back of my hand. This was different. It was wrong. There was a building that shouldn't be there; a large one.

But if this wasn't my New York, then where in Hades name was I instead?

I stood up and walked towards the water. It was calm. Whatever twisted world I was in looked alright, I guess. At least I hadn't been attacked by a monster or anything.

The ground shook. I stumbled but stayed upright this time. I looked around. The people in the park were running now. Running away and screaming, pointing at something in the sky. I followed their eye-line.

"Oh my gods."

My feet couldn't move fast enough, but for the first time I wasn't running towards the danger, I was running away. Because I'm not trained to combat an alien spaceship.

The ground shook again as the looming spaceship shot another blast. They weren't aiming at us, at least. The explosion was somewhere else. But that didn't mean that there wasn't panic. I followed the people from the park into the city complex before realising I had nowhere to run to. If this wasn't my New York, then I didn't have an apartment. And I doubted that there was going to be a Camp Half-Blood.