chapter one

01 | vinyls or virginity

IT WAS THE THIRD WEEK OF SEPTEMBER, students are getting used to the tight schedule of high school; relishing the fresh new start of the semester and teachers  are discreetly slipping assignments to be graded before midterms season. Some are counting down the days until winter break.

I walked down the enlongated halls of Andgrove High. The halls were busy during last period. Students rushing to make it on time to their classes or to ditch them. I headed to my English class pushing my way through the crowd. The narrowness of the third floor halls didn't make it any better.

As I arrived in, I headed straight to the back of the classroom in my designated seat. As students start bustling into the classroom, I at the meantime got my materials prepared. Ms. Asaki started the lesson "An introduction of Shakespeare literatures". I wrote down the notes taking extra care for my writing to be cohesive. I switched my pen every time a new topic was introduced.  The old wooden door of the classroom creaked open with heavy footsteps arriving in. The noise brought the class's attention. Ms. Asaki started talking to the stranger and turned to our attention.

"Class we have a new student, Colton Miller."

A pale slender guy with a dark coloured attire arrived into the classroom.

"Please introduce yourself Colton." Ms. Asaki beamed.

Ms. Asaki asked us to introduce ourselves with three interesting facts in the first day of school. Most didn't notice but she was using our introductions as a formative grade for our oral speaking. She said to me afterschool that day she does this every year to make observations of our character.

Ms. Asaki smiled at him again to reassure him.

"Uhm well, hi my name is Colton Miller which you uhm probably know now from Ms. Asaki's introduction,"

Colton already seemed uncomfortable in the predicament he was in. He scratched his neck and continued.

"I moved here from New York, I like cats, and when I was 14 and fun I lost my vi-,"

"Okay I think that's enough," Ms. Asaki interrupted.

Ms. Asaki grabbed Colton's shoulders and brought him close to her to say something secretly.

"I don't think we should be talking about your sexual life in school now okay honey?" Whisper yelled Ms. Asaki.

Even though Ms. Asaki attempted to hush her sentences, the class still heard what she said, and the emphasis of sexual.

"Vinyls"

Colton's out of the blue reply confused Ms. Asaki even more.

"What?"

"I lost my vinly's keychain today, not my virginity"

A few snickers were heard from his statement. A guy started letting out fits of coughs which turned most people attention to the guy instead of Colton.

" Oh, my apologies then. Please join the class."

Ms.Asaki started the lesson again with a scarlet tint on her cheeks. Colton started walking down between the tables finding an empty seat. Colton tripped on air almost falling face first when he grabbed the desk in-front of him for support. It almost looked like someone tripped him. He got back up fixing his composure and sat at the empty desk beside me. Soon the bell rang making all the students rush down the doors. I put my papers in my binder so it won't get crumpled and put it safely inside my backpack. Once I got out of the classroom, I took my phone out and texted my dad.