chapter two

02 | rendezvous in the coffee shop

AS THE SEASONS STARTS GETTING COLDER, THE LIGHT OF DAY GETS SHORTER. The skyline was painted with a tangerine orange, with hues of soft yellow. It cascaded a soft glow through the cracks and glass of the buildings near by. It was the renowned golden hour where the sun's glow blankets around us like a hallow. Customers started leaving as soon as the sun was setting to make room for the moon. Aaron and I were the only customers hanging out in the café. Employee's started cleaning around the countertops and placing chairs on top of the tables; missing the corner where we were sitting.

I checked the last item of my to do list, savoring the satisfaction of completing my work on time. Aaron had his head infront of the laptop screen. He furrowed his eyebrows making his forehead crease every so often. I leaned my head above his laptop screen.

"What are you doing?" I questioned in a singsong manner, scooting my chair closer to him.

Aaron rolled his eyes playfully.

"Mr. Quentin asked me to help edit the end of the year video," He replied rolling back his shoulders. He cracked his neck making me wince with disgust.

"Can you not decapitate yourself?" I groaned. The sound of bones breaking still stuck in my eardrums.

"Stop being a wuss you crack your knuckles!"

"Rarely," I protest "My mom said my fingers will get chubby if I keep doing it" I countered.

"Yet your fingers still look like jumbo crayons" murmured Aaron.

While trying to comprehend what he said, the sound of the laptop screen getting slammed shut brought myself back.

"You wanna head out?"

I nodded my head and proceeded to put all my binders in my backpack. I brought the bag to my shoulders and headed out following Aaron.

It was autumn in Oakridge. The leaves in the trees were starting to change in shades of red, orange and brown. It was a pleasant sight to see from an exhausting day. Around the end of the September, it get's draining with the workload and social banters. I try to manage, but sometimes  it doesn't work out so great. While reflecting my day I didn't realize Aaron was calling me until he lightly shoved my shoulder making me turn my face towards his direction.

"You okay? I called your name 5 times but you seemed to be somewhere else." Aaron questioned, widening his eyes.

"U-uh yeah, just thinking about what Ms. Asaki asked me the other day." I lied, well partially.

Being in the book club for four consecutive years and being in my senior, Ms. Asaki gave me the opportunity to be the president of the book club since the last president graduated. I wasn't on board that day thinking how I have to juggle being a president of the club with my studies but she said she would buy the books and all I have to do is to run the meetings.

"Oh, running the book club?" Aaron pondered shoving his hands in his jacket pockets. "I think you should. It will look great in your portfolio and you will sure be a great president for it." he stated.

I softly smiled at him with the assured statement.

"What the hell it is my last year and I should take some risks," I said.

He ruffled my hair and we proceeded walking in silence. Soon we made it to our street. The perks of living in the same street with your good pal is that you don't need say goodbye half way going back home. He dropped me at my front door and I turned around.

"Good luck dealing with your aunt," I joked.

"Ugh, great." He sighed dramatically. "Should I pick you up tomorrow morning?"

"Uh yeah, my appa work starts early tomorrow."

Aaron nodded and waved bye. I mirrored his action and opened the door with my housekey. I went inside and peaked outside seeing Aaron getting hugged by his aunt. I chuckled and closed the door, taking my shoes off while at it. I went to the kitchen to make my presence known to my parents I am here.

The aroma of spices blending together was wafting through the air. I went to the kitchen to see my amma cutting chilly peppers for her chicken curry.

"Are you hungry?", my amma asked me, while I was washing my hands.

"I ate those big muffins from the café so I'm good," I groaned patting my stomach to show my food coma. "Where's appa?"

"He's coming late, said he need to do some paperwork."

I headed upstairs and slanged my bag close to my desk. I laid down at my bed with exhaustion. Its has been a long week even though it just started. I dragged myself to the shower, once the hot water hit my sore back I never wanted to leave this safe haven. Eventually I got out of the shower, putting on my oversized sweater and sweats. I went dashing down the stairs grabbing the plate of dinner and going back to my room. Grabbing my laptop with me, I plopped on my bed. Tonight I will finally give myself a break.