Star-Crossed [TechiUemu Oneshot]

With the cross-hair of her sights lined up perfectly the mysterious agent on the rooftop was ready to take the shot and eliminate the enemy who had broken into the facility. 

Agent Uemura took a deep breath, then out. Pause. Her finger began to squeeze the trigger then backed away. A change of heart? She wasn't sure. 

The agent below turned around, almost as if she could sense the target on her back. It was something too intense and confusing for Uemura to possibly understand. She was an emotionless killing machine, the assassin of R.I.S.E. But here she was, hesitant, because of those eyes... oh god those eyes.

No trace of fear could be detected. In fact, the agent raised her arms in an almost taunting way. She didn't seem to care that she was about to meet her maker. 

The agent closed her eyes, bracing for the impact of the bullet. The killing blow. But if she were going to stay there waiting she'd end up there for an eternity. Uemura was too stunned to follow her orders. 

"Well? Aren't you going to kill me?" she asked.

Uemura pushed the safety catch and positioned the rifle in a way that wasn't facing anyone. "Not today."

"Feeling merciful are we?"

"Not exactly, it just isn't your time yet. We still need to have our fun with you."

---

In a baggy hoodie Yurina walked to a coffee shop on the opposite side of town. As far away from the Keyakizaka facility as possible to avoid being recognised or targeted. 

While ordering her usual she felt something strange. Yurina turned around and as she did, she noticed someone quickly looking away. 

'Do I know them?'

Once her order was ready Yurina took a seat where she knew she would be safe. Well that's what she assumed. Nothing prepared her for the stranger to join her at the table.

"May I take this seat?" the stranger asked.

Yurina shrugged, "Didn't you have a perfectly good one over there?"

"Yes," the stranger, before the off-duty agent, paused for a moment. After a small sigh and likely them collecting their thoughts they continued, "But there is something I wish to talk to you about."

Something felt oddly familiar about this person's voice. Yurina stayed silent as she flicked through the memories in her head trying to find a match. 

Gotcha

"You were the coward," she commented.

The stranger frowned then sat down opposite Yurina. "I suppose you could say that." 

"Are you going to kill me now?" 

"No. I want to understand you."

Yurina stiffled a laugh, "You are pathetic. What is there to understand?" 

"I need to know how you did that. That thing with your gaze...?"

Her gaze was something she had no control over. At least, not that she noticed. All she did was make eye contact and let no fear be on display. It was something simple to her. 

"I have no tricks... So why didn't you just take the shot?" 

"It was impossible. It was like time froze around me when you looked at me." 

"So R.I.S.E agents really do have feelings, huh?" 

The stranger removed their hood, revealing her long black hair and perfectly set bangs. An innocent, almost angelic face, staring directly at the off-duty agent. This display in itself was an expression of R.I.S.E agents having feelings and vulnerability. 

'Surely this can't be the face of an assassin?'  Yurina thought to herself.

"I just realised... I don't know a name, what should I refer to you as?" the stranger asked with a soft smile.

Yurina could only offer her code-name, "Otter. Call me Otter." 

"I have one of those too. Fairy they call me," she rolled her eyes after taking in Otter's confused expression, "Yes. Weird name for an assassin I know." 

"I can't comment. Otter isn't exactly anything badass either." 

It was hard for Yurina to imagine that this girl before her had a body count of over 80. 

--- 

After a few hours of chatting over coffee they had almost forgotten about the previous meeting. The café was closing up for the night and they were politely asked to leave. 

"Let me walk you home," Fairy offered. 

Yurina declined, "What? And know exactly where to take me out without a fuss. No thanks."

"I-I didn't think you'd see it that way." 

"We are enemies. No amount of laughing or pleasantries will change that." 

The assassin watched as her target disappeared into the shadows of the night. 

'Till next time... Otter.'