32 - A Stormy Arrival

Zehara waited with Lavinia on the docks for the carriage. She kept glancing back at the ship in anticipation of Devarak and Eirian. 

 Snow was falling thickly around them, which hid them from the views of the townsfolk. The sound of the approaching carriage was muffled and as it stopped in front of them there was the crunch of snow beneath its wheels. 

 Eirian and Devarak made their way down to the others looking slightly worse for wears. Zehara shot them an inquisitive look.

Erissa jumped down from the driver's seat and took Zehara's luggage.

"Let me stow that for you. Get on inside my Queen."

Zehara led Lavinia into the carriage. Devarak and Eirian silently followed. They sat across from Zehara and Lavinia. Devarak closed the door behind him and immediately shut his eyes. Eirian turned to look out the window. Watching Liqu loading the final bit of luggage onto the carriage. He hopped onto the seat at the back where Harris and one of the guards. The other guard sat at the front with Erissa.

The carriage rocked into motion and Eirian yelped out loud, startled by the unexpected sensation. Zehara shot her a comforting smile.

"You'll get used to that."

Eirian gave a small nod and gripped the edge of the seat with tense fingers. She glanced over at Devarak momentarily trying to read his body language. He seemed to be dozing slightly already. There was a slight tremor in his fingers which caused Eirian to feel momentary guilty.

The city of Gradisa towered about the carriage as they approached it. Eirian gazed out that the looming walls as the carriage emerged from the woods. Her mind was filled with thoughts of home. The last time she had been home she had left on bad terms with her mother. Snow obscured the central gate and wind whipped frantically around the exterior of the carriage, causing Eirian to grip the bench with renewed terror. 

 Zehara leaned forward, pushing the red velvet curtain aside to get a better view of the city. Beside her, Lavinia stirred in her sleep. Her head rested lightly against Zehara's arm and her fingers held lightly onto the long sleeve of Zehara's gown. Zehara hid her smile and gazed out at the city. Midais was different than she had pictured. The cities were more spread out than in Zedar and they were sprawled out over large areas rather than tall and stacked. In their two days of travel, they had come across very few people on the road. She attributed this to the weather and the increasing dip in the population.

When the carriage reached the central gate entering the capital there was a brief discussion between Erissa and one of the guards. For a moment it looked as though the guard planned to search their carriage but then Erissa withdrew their papers and the guard, who Zehara suspected could not read, squinted at the paper, grunted, and waved them through.

The carriage wound its way through the narrow streets, coming to a halt at outside a small house. Eirian joined Zehara in gazing out at the narrow snow-covered street. Trying to place their location within the city.

The street resembled her own, with snow-dusted cobbles and squat stone houses. She noted however that the street itself was twice the width of the ones in the south side. They were somewhere in the center of town.

Erissa jumped down from the bench, causing the carriage to bounce unexpectedly. Eirian gripped the seat but was otherwise unfazed.

Erissa knocked on the front door of the house and waited for a response. She glanced around at the deserted street, pulling her cloak tighter about her shoulders. After a few minutes, the door opened.

As Erissa was greeted by the homeowner Lavinia sat up. Zehara glanced over at her, watching as Lavinia strained to listen.

Erissa and the other figure made their way down to the carriage. Zehara's two guards dismounted and opened the door for them to exit. Harris and Liqu were already beginning to unloaded the luggage from the roof.

Lavinia was the first to exit the carriage. Zehara was dragged along as Lavinia was helped down by one of the guards. She let go of Zehara's hand as she reached the cobbled street. A wide grin spreading across her features.

"Carsire!" She said. Carsire gave a light chuckle and embraced the Princess giving her a tight squeeze and murmuring,

"You don't miss a trick do you, Princess."

"I would know your voice anywhere," Lavinia said, planting a kiss on his cheek. He released her and gathered her hand up in his own.

"Come now. Let's get inside before anyone sees us," Carsire said. He took in the other three figures stepping out of the carriage. His gaze flitting from Zehara to Eirian, and finally coming to rest on Devarak. He gave a curt nod which Devarak didn't acknowledge.

Erissa and Harris led the way up to the front door with Carsire and Lavinia close behind.

Liqu waved a quick goodbye before maneuvering the carriage out of the street. He was to return the carriage to their headquarters. Hopefully, this would prevent any spies from becoming suspicious to of the ex-golden guards overly active home.

Carsire shut the door behind them and turned the lock. He then helped Lavinia doff her cloak and lead the group into his front room.

"I apologize for the mess. I'm still getting settled in." He gestured to a couch on the far side of the room, "Please make yourselves comfortable." Then he turned to Zehara giving her a deep bow before taking her hand in his. He brought it to his lips and kissed it gently.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Zehara Belestine. I look forward to assisting you in any way I can."