Chapter 6

I've never seen anything like it.
__

"I never pegged you for a Rocky Road type of guy," Brin said, handing Stacy both their menus.

With the afternoon sun's heat beating down mercilessly, the two found refuge in a nearby ice cream shop.

Before the bell on top of the door could finish jangling, they were greeted by Stacy, a bit tired but still enthusiastic host, who looked to be a little bit older than them. His brown curly hair was tied loosely in a ponytail.

His jeans peeked out from behind the apron that was tied around his waist and was paired with a white, wrinkled free t shirt that displayed the store's logo.

He guided them towards a booth with light green chairs, set under a colourful yellow table. Large windows to the right of them allowed a view of people a few steps away.

"What will it be for the lovely couple?" He grabbed the pen nestled behind his ear within two seconds and pressed it towards the notepad.

Brin was the first to speak up.

"Oh we're not--"

"The thing is," Elliott chimed in, "it's a long story."

"We just met--"

"Ah," Stacy nodded and sent a wink Elliott's way. "First date, nice."

He then brought his attention towards Brin. "Our town famous milkshakes are on the house."

Elliott began to protest and Stacy having caught wind of it, shook his head. "Here at Scoops and Shakes we love, love."

Their eyes followed his to the light blue painted wall across the room covered with picture frames.

He beckoned for them to follow, which they did. "Whether it's a celebration of friendship, a new job, first loves or last dates, we've seen it all here."

Brin stood in awe. There were pictures of seniors holding each others hands, a portrait of a couple sipping a milkshake with two straws, a group of friends whose laughs were suspended in time.

"Wow," Elliott pointed to a black and white photograph off to the side, "this is so cool."

"Yeah," Brin replied walking back to her side of the booth, "I've never seen anything like it."

Elliott followed, sliding his hands into his pockets, pulling out his phone. He frowned upon seeing the caller ID.

Stacy returned to the table after waving goodbye to another group who'd walked out happily with little bags of ice cream.

"I'll be right back with your orders."

He headed towards the kitchen, after tucking the notepad into the pocket of the apron.

Elliott's fingers drummed on the table. Blowing out a frustrated sigh, he stared up at the white ceiling.

"Who was that?" Brin's gaze travelled to the phone buzzing on the table that was occupying Elliott's attention.

"Nobody."

"Are you sure? You seemed pretty disappointed that they called."

"It's nothing, Brin."

She pulled her phone out of her purse, scrolling through her messages, and giggling at one.

Snapping up when their desserts were laid out in front of them, Brin couldn't even remember the last time she had tasted an ice cream sundae.

---

Tossing her napkin in the trash, Brin slid out of the booth, cell phone in hand towards the door.

With a speed that was almost Flash like, she dialed the numbers she knew without having to think.

Pick up, Pick up.

"Please leave a message at the tone."

"Hi," Brin played with the beads on her wrist, absentmindedly.

"I just wanted to check in and let you know how I'm doing. I know you wanted me to get out the house and do something but this probably wasn't what you had in mind," she chuckled, turning her head to see Elliott still at the booth.

She gave him a thumbs up, noticing the way his eyebrows raised when he mouthed the words, "You ok?"

"I'm helping a friend return something that I might have played a role in losing," she returned to her voice message. "It's nothing major-- just a book that he needs like yesterday. We're heading towards Elmsville. I'll see you when I can and my phone will be turned on always. Love you."

After hanging up, she tapped the phone's location button on just in case. She texted the password to her mom, hoping it would suffice.

"Ready to go?" She slung her bag over shoulder after putting her change with Elliott's for Stacy. They slid the generous tip under the bill and were about to push the door open when Elliott stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"I forgot to do something," he responded. "Well, actually we forgot to do something."

"What do you mean?" Brin didn't realize what Elliott was referring to until she saw him stand in front of the photos.

"Really Elliott? I thought we had to be on schedule?" She pointed to the door behind her, one foot over the threshold.

The last thing she wanted to do was prolong the nagging feeling that was gnawing at her. It was her fault that they were here and she wanted to get rid of it as soon as possible.

"We have time," he beckoned her over.

He held out his phone, snapping a selfie with the both of them in it, smiling.

Stacy, rounded the corner just as the shutter clicked.

"Would you two like to be featured on the wall?"

Elliot waited for Brin to respond, who shrugged, taking her place beside him.

"Perfect," Stacy brought out a green disposable camera out of the apron pocket, holding it up to his face.

Brin didn't know what she found stranger. The fact that disposable cameras still existed or the fact that she was here in this moment taking a picture with a boy she barely knew a few hours ago.

"And done," Stacy nodded. "This is going right here," he pointed towards the wall. He thanked them before collecting the money, leaving with the bill.

Just before they were out of earshot, he stuck his head out the door. "Hope you guys enjoyed your date. You look good together!"

Once they stepped down the stairs, they bursted into laughter.

"We tried to tell him," Brin shrugged.

"At least we got coupons for the next time around," Elliott checked to see if they were still safely tucked in his bag, which they were.