Chapter 17

"It's for you..."
___

Tires screeched and hollered outside the car jolting Brin out of her sleep. Her hands drew at damp sweat clinging to her shirt.

She reached towards the cup holder, pulling her device to her face.

5 AM.

Brin didn't remember the last time she'd woken before eight in the morning.

Head still resting on the blanket, stare to the ceiling Brin gave permission for her mind to wander off. Thoughts ranged from wondering what to eat for breakfast to more lazy ones such as if ladybugs all had different numbers of spots.

Light danced across her, courtesy of the incoming sunrise. Dust particles floating upwards soon became visible what with pinks and purples folding into each other on the horizon.

She stayed like this- legs crossed over one another, content. The only thing she wished for was to be holding a cup of coffee. But aside from that, this was perfect.

Inspiration nudged her willing her to write something, anything. The conditions were agreeable-- a calm state of mind with a side of a beautiful view.

Writing her final line, the camera shutter on her phone clicked, saving the sunrise for Elliott to see when he awoke. Whenever that was.

Her gaze travelled downward expecting to come face to feet with her fuzzy socks and not the sight that played in her recent dream.

Elliott's arm tangled around her waist, slumbering contently, stomach down. 

So much for separate sides.

A few days ago she'd have removed it without a second thought but now-- she barely squirmed.

In fact she inched closer.

"Good morning to you too."

Her instinct to tuck a strand behind her ear halted the moment his voice rang over the quiet.

"Good morning," Brin said.

"What are you up to?" He propped his head to get a better look at her.
He watched when her nails rubbed against her eyelids, and heard the yawn from her lips.

"Couldn't go back to sleep."

"Well, now you've got me to keep you company. What's first on your itinerary?"

"To brush my teeth."

Elliott filled with worry. "We don't have any toothbrushes."

"It's Walmart remember. Toothbrushes and toothpaste are like a buck. Come on," she pressed the unlock button on the car, lifting the trunk. "I'll even get you one that lights up."

"Funny."

"Aren't you coming?"

"In a minute," he clutched the throw dangling out the car. "I'll meet you there."

___

Morning routine aside, and one more wardrobe change later, the two sank their teeth into muffins and coffee from the bakery.

Phones ringing interrupted their impromptu breakfast.

Both picked up at the same time.

A chorus of "Hello" sailed through the air. Strange glances shot from one person to the next.

"It's for you..." Brin stated.