Always A Hero

Hailey's POV

As I came to, the pain all came flooding back. My hands were tied, the ropes creating burns on my wrists. My head was throbbing, and I felt terribly weak to the point of nausea. Blinking my eyes a few times to adjust to my surroundings the hopeless feeling came back as I remember where I am.

Looking down at the holes in my jeans, multiple bite marks on my thighs and calf's and who knew where else I couldn't see due to my current position. I tried to blink the tears back but they fell regardless. Leaning my head back against the pole I was tied to, I cried. What was I thinking? Trying to be fearless and strong, I took on more than I could handle. I wanted to be a daughter my father would be proud of and in the end I'm just a disappointment.

It's been 3 days since my great idea to follow a vamp back to its nest. My naive optimism making me feel invincible. I should've known better. My dad trained me better. I deserve to be captured. I deserve to be used as a feeding bag for these vile monsters for making such a stupid, utterly stupid, decision.

Moving to attempt to wipe my wet cheek with my shoulder, I immediately regret yet another decision as my neck begins to sting. There must be another cut there, the neck is a vamps go to spot. Throwing my head back in frustration, I tried to calm myself down. I needed to focus, I needed to get out of here.

Looking around the dark room, I could make out wooden walls. Everything from when I arrived here seemed like weeks ago, but I was able to piece together I was in what seemed to be a barn. An odd place for a vamp nest, however in Kansas there aren't too many other hideouts.

There wasn't much close to me that would be helpful. I could make out stacks of hay, what looked like shovels in the corner but it was too dark to see clearly. My weak state not helping. Pulling my wrists I tried to see if by some miracle I'd be able to Hulk-out of the rope. More naive optimism lead to failure. Moving around to try and see if there would be anything semi-sharp to cut the ropes, I immediately stopped as the door creaked open.

"Oh good, you're awake. I was nervous the newbies drained you clean." Charles, the vamp I had been initially hunting, said as he shut the door behind him. Mustering whatever strength I could I tried to sit up to not appear as weak as I felt as he moved so he was squatting in front of me.

"Hm, listen to that heart go." He closed his eyes as he savored the sound of my heart racing. As much as I tried to act tough I was scared.

"Don't worry, it's just you and me." He moved his hand to caress my cheek but I pulled away as far as I could.

"Don't touch me." I snarled, I could feel my fight or flight instincts kicking in.

Charles roughly grabbed my face, forcing me to look at him.

"You can act as hard as you want but you and I both know you're nothing but a pathetic, wannabe, hunter." He spat back. I just glared at him saying nothing as I brought my foot up as hard and fast as I could, kick him in the face. He stumbled backwards, as he did the hay around him scattered, the sound of a blade moving across the floor caught my attention. My knife. It was there the whole time.

Stretching to try and grab it with my foot, Charles got up and kicked it away.  Before I could register what happened, my head shot to the side, pain radiating in my temple. He was above me again, this time fangs at the ready.