Gas N Sip

The sleek black impala pulled up to a gas station and slowed to a stop. Both brothers getting out almost in sync. Sam stopped to lean down into the car window.

"Do you need anything?" He asked, that sweet smile adorned his lips, always so caring by nature.

"I'm okay, thanks." I gave him a small smile. He nodded in response before heading into the run down convenience store. Looking out of the windshield, I could see Dean leaning against the front of the car as he waited for the tank to fill. His back so muscular and tense I could see it through the dark green jacket he wore.

Deciding to stretch my legs, I pushed the door to the impala open. My element of surprise ruined as it squeaked immediately, causing Dean to look at me over his shoulder. I expected him to just turn forward and ignore me but his eyes never left mine as I moved so I was leaning on the hood of the car beside him. His sudden intense eye contact made me feel nervous so I turned to see Sam flirting with the cashier from inside the store.

"You're gonna scare the locals." Dean broke the silence. Turning to face him, he was still staring at me. Only this time I could tell his eyes were scanning the cuts and bruises I'm sure decorated my body.

"They probably think you're my abusive boyfriend." I joked, looking down and seeing just how torn apart I actually looked. The sunlight not doing any favors to the multiple blood stains on my clothes.

"You're abusive boyfriend that bites you?" Dean questioned, a playfulness in his voice as he arched his brows.

"Hey some people are into that stuff." Dean laughed and suddenly the tension was lighter.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you." His voice was sincere. I could feel his eyes on me again. I was acutely aware of his presence. Before I could respond he kept going.

"When Bobby called and said you were missing ... it was like everything came rushing back. Everything I tried to bury away." The gas pump clicked to a stop, interrupting him. This time my eyes were on Dean as he moved to take the pump out of the tank.

"What're you saying Dean?" I asked, even though I was sure I knew. He put the pump back in its holder, pausing for a moment before turning to me. His eyes set on mine and for a moment everything felt still.

"You guys ready to go?" Sam came out of the store with a brown bag in hand, using his other to open the car door.

"Yep, lets get a move on. We're about half a day away from Sioux Falls." Dean responded, his eyes never leaving mine, as if he wasn't about to throw a sentimental grenade in my face. We loaded back into the car and Sam handed Dean a drink.

"I know you said you were fine but I got you a water." Sam passed me a bottle of water before taking one out for himself.

"Thanks Sammy." I twisted the cap off and guzzled it. I was more thirsty than I realized.

"There's probably a flannel in that duffel on the floor if you want to change out of those clothes." Dean said, twisting around to face me. Again completely ignoring what he had said moments ago. He started the car and we were on the road again. Sam telling Dean about the pretty girl inside as I dug through the bag for the flannel that felt the softest and smelled the least. Finding one that was red plaid and worn in, I buttoned it on before pulling my arms inside to remove my bloody shirt underneath. A once easy task wasn't so fun when you're covered in cuts and bruises. Trying to keep my wincing to a minimum didn't work in the small quarters of the car.

"You should've let me clean you up." Dean said, cutting his brother off who was in the middle of a conversation. 

"I'm okay." I gave him a reassuring smile. Moving so I laid across the backseat it didn't take long at all before the exhaustion hit me and I was asleep.

"I missed this.." I broke the silence as I traced invincible shapes on his chest. Whenever our dad's were in the same town together they'd meet up to talk cases and lore while Dean and I found other ways to pass the time. What started innocently as kids but as we got older and feelings and hormones were thrown into the mix, well you get it.

"So did I." He smiled, a suggestive tone to his voice causing me to give him a look. His hold on me tightening as I felt him kiss the top of my head. He let out a sigh that didn't sound like it was leading to anything good.

"What?" I asked moving to sit up, my bliss ruined as I knew his mind was reeling. Which when it came to Dean Winchester was never a good thing.

"I've been thinking, about this, I love it don't get me wrong." He began, sitting up slightly himself.

"But..." I pushed, moving so my legs dangled off the bed as I pulled my jeans on. He sighed again as I searched for my bra on the floor.

"You know how our lives are, I just don't want us getting our hopes up."

"Us? Or me?" I asked over my shoulder as I clasped my bra together. I was unable to keep my snark back. I'd had a feeling this would happen one day so I don't know why I'm so upset. Pulling my shirt on, I stood up from the bed turning to face him. The fact I was slightly upset didn't stop my heart from skipping as he sat there shirtless, anti-possession tattoo on full display on his gloriously toned chest.

"Isn't it the point to be someone who understands the life?" My voice coming out quiet as looked at him before picking up my shoes.

"I guess, but this. Us. It wouldn't be fair to you if I let it go on. It can't happen." He explained but it felt so cold and emotionless. He'd put his wall up and that was it, I was cut out.

"You don't have to feed me these bullshit excuses Dean. I was caught up in it, I like you, but I'm not gonna push you into something you don't want. " Standing up as my shoes were now on my feet, I grabbed for my jacket and my bag and headed for the motel door.

"That's not what I'm saying..." He'd finally moved so he was off the bed, standing in his boxers in a cheap attempt to stop me. Standing in the doorway, I turned to look at him, cheesy enough, one last time.

"But it is. And that's fine. Goodbye Dean."