Consequences

Callie stared wide eyed at the ringing phone beside her. "Someone answer it!" She bellowed, throwing it to Derek.

With a delayed reaction, Derek's effort to catch the phone was pointless. It hit him in the chest.

"I don't want it either," he exclaimed, dramatically rolling away from the phone.

Mark grabbed it from the ground and answered.

"Hello? Yes this is Callie." He pulled the phone away from his ear and called to Callie across the elevator, "it's Bailey!"

"Tell her we're stuck in an elevator!" She suggested.

"And that we're really hungry!" Meredith added.

"Yes, Hello, Dr Bailey, we are stuck in an elevator... How did you know?" Again he pulled the phone away. "She says she already knew that!"

"Tell her we want food!" Meredith tried again.

"Cheeseburgers!" Izzie exclaimed.

"And fries!" George echoed.

The group nodded in agreement. It seemed as though an executive decision had been made.

"Yes, hello is this Dr. Bailey?... Yes, this is Callie's phone... No, Callie is very busy." Mark gave Callie a hearty thumbs up.

"Get to the food part!" Addison demanded. She too was craving a burger.

"Bailey we need food... What do you mean, no?... Because we're stuck in an elevator!" Mark pulled the phone away from his ear and released an exasperated sigh. "Bailey is being very rude. She says she won't bring us food," he informed the group.

"And why not?" Christina questioned, dramatically furrowing her brows.

"Because we've been in here barely two hours," Mark explained, a perplexed look on his face.

For a moment everyone sat in silence. Less than two hours was all it took for nine of Seattle surgeons to succumb to complete boredom, play an array childish games, and drink to their hearts desire all while stuck in an elevator.

Bailey was going to kill them.

"What did you say?....He is... yes, I agree... oh good...okay bye." Mark hung up the phone.

Long seconds passed without a word.

"Well?" Addison tried, "Are you going to tell us what she said?"

Mark nodded his head seriously. "Bailey says she's not happy and that if she had the power, she's fire the whole lot of us."

"I'm basically her boss," Derek smiled smugly.

"Funny you say that," Mark laughed. "She also said that she should have known you were in the elevator."

"What does that mean?" Derek scoffed.

"Apparently trouble follows you." It was Mark's turn to smile now. "I don't think Bailey really likes you." Before Derek could argue any further Mark added, "she also told us to try and open the doors again."

The same group as last time stood and stumbled over to the doors. Alex and Cristina gripped one side while Callie and Arizona held the other.

"Okay... Pull!"

Slowly but surly the doors parted and remained open only to reveal that they were stuck between floors. There was no safe way for them to get out in their position.

To make matters worse, Bailey was able to glower down at them from her heightened position making her anger clear even without words. If only for a moment, the group was happy to be stuck, safe from the woman's wrath. Surely she could smell the alcohol.

"Arizona made us," Mark cooed innocently. He clicked his tongue. "Bad bad, Arizona."

Arizona cheeks burned as she stumbled for words, stomach turning at the suddenly confrontation. Needing an immediate deflection, she pointed to Derek who absently clutched the empty bottle in his hand.

Bailey shook her head, seemingly without words for the group below her. She held Derek's eye. "Even I didn't expect something like this... something so stupid, so ignorant..." The woman shook her head and continued, anger and disapproval clear. "How did you even do this?! Drunk in the hospital... Shame on all of you!"

"Someone close the doors," Meredith mumbled. Bailey shot the surgeon a look that could kill. Meredith shrunk back against Izzie.

Cristina slowly inched closer to the door, but her attempt didn't go unnoticed.

"If you even lay one finger on that door, Yang, you'll be doing scut for a month!"

"Dr. Bailey we are really hungry!" George proclaimed. He looked up at the woman with pleading eyes.

Bailey's features softened a bit for her favourite student. Slightly less angered, she sighed. "This is not over."

The elevator watched as she walked away, relieved that for the time being, they were all still employed.

"Can we close the doors now?" Callie asked, looking suspiciously up at the ground floor as if any minute Bailey could pop right back into existence.

Cristina laughed, "It'll probably summon her." And though she said it mockingly, the surgeon still moved a little further from the door.

Addison scoffed, "its pathetic how much you let her scare you." She made long eye contact with Derek as she said it, raising her chin in a show of confidence.

Derek's eyes widened in fear as he looked over her soulder and back up at the ground floor. Addisons heart skipped a beat.

"Dr Bailey!" Derek exclaimed. Addison jumped on cue, spinning around to look behind her.

The ground floor remained empty even as laughter spread around the elevator.

"You're a coward just the same!" Callie bellowed. Her smile grew as Arizona laughed. It was music to her ears.

"We're all scared of her, the sooner you realize it, the better," Meredith finished with a dignified nod. Callie saluted in agreence.

From around the corner, out of sight, Miranda Bailey shared a smile with only herself.

"Damn straight."

Say something and make my day :)