Chapter Two

2
#daddyissues

The humidity that day led me to wear my navy blue button-up dress that reached just slightly above the knee that I paired up with my plain white tennis shoes and some ankle-length socks. I had a thing for those. I had my hair done, light beach waves, and some winged liner on my eyes.

Picking where I usually sit, I placed my bag on the chair next to mine, saving that space for a friend. The first row, of course, on the left side of the classroom. I pulled out my phone and quickly scanned through my notifications, I have managed to reduce using my phone, and I wanted to keep it that way.

There was a noise at the back of the class that distracted me, and I turned back to look at what it had been. The same man I had previously had a conversation with at the library opened the window.

"Why did you have to do that? You're letting out all the cool air right out of the classroom!" I exclaimed. I had not previously realized that you were with me in class. It was not something you had mentioned in our conversation at the library. But you must have assumed that I already knew.

You smiled at me, your smile forming two vivid lines at the corner of your lips. "I'm just letting the fresh air in." I looked at you and laughed.

"Fresh air? This country is filled with nothing but pollution. Was it not ranked the third most polluted country in the world? That is definitely not fresh air," I told you. I missed those days — the way we used to talk back then. I could say anything to you with no judgement. Everything was so much easier. There was not so much pain.

"I like to look at the positive side of things." Your smile grew, and your cheeks formed an equal form. It was the kindest that I had seen; your eyes squinted at the sides that indicated the truest of smiles. It was as if that smile had come from your heart.

"Positive? Well, I cannot say much about that. I like to remain realistic. You know, not to get my hopes up, and all of that jazz." You walked across the classroom and sat right at the corner opposite to me. First row; I had not noticed that detail back then, but all the similarities we had is probably what brought us together.

My friend walked into the classroom and made her way towards the seat that I saved her. I moved my bag away to give her the access that she needed. This had not stopped our conversation. "This is not normal," you replied.

I looked at Rena, my friend, and laughed. I quickly whispered, "He does not know anything yet. He does not even know about the water."

And you really did not. "What? What did you say?" You laughed, your eyes were shining, and they twinkled with curiosity.

I mumbled a quick "Nothing."

Oh, had I known that this word would be the mystery of everything that made me and if I had stopped using it that I would have ruined this entire relationship.

"No, tell me." The smile never once left your face, and I took that as a polite invitation that you were actually interested in what I had to say.

"I do not drink water." I blurted out.

"What?"

"I don't drink water. I do not like it. I never have, I never will, and I do not need it because I never used to drink it. I would drink a glass like twice every week, and I'm all good," I continued, carefully examining the expression on your face. The interest quickly turned into confusion and formed itself into an appalled expression as you stared at me dumbfounded.

It sounded a little insane, I admit, to have such minimal water consumption - but it really wasn't. It's not like I had stopped drinking water and my body lacks it or is dehydrated. Quite on the contrary, I have been consuming a similar amount since the beginning of time.