10. HARRY

HARRY

I think I'm in love.

Her big bright eyes look up at me with longing; begging me for something, anything. I try not to be caught staring too often when the reality is all I want to do is pick her up and hold her in my arms. I sneakily drop her a piece of my omelette and she catches it in her mouth before it hits the ground.

"Good girl," I beam down at Lola.

"Harry!" Lucy scolds from the seat next to me.

After last weekend's desperate call from Lucy as she single-handedly destroyed her bedroom, I've invited myself over for breakfast after yet another week of silence from Amy.

That, and I'm becoming obsessed with her cooking.

I wanted Amy to give Lucy time to cope with losing her husband before another massive blow hit her, but now she has completely disappeared and it's making things worse.

Lucy is blaming herself.

"What?" I chuckle through my words when her smile I'm becoming addicted to searching for, makes an appearance. "Is that the third rule? Don't feed Lola at the table?"

"No," she laughs, sipping on her coffee. "But now she'll never leave you alone."

"Why would I want that?" I exaggerate my baby voice to the squishy-faced dog at my feet. "She's annoying, Lola, don't listen to her. She doesn't understand our love!"

"Do you two need some time alone?" Lucy teases before we are interrupted by my phone ringing.

"Hey Mum," I mumble as I shove more of my breakfast into my mouth.

"Darling, don't talk with your mouth full," she reprimands.

Lucy gives me an, "I told you so" look, my mother's voice loud enough for her to hear from beside me.

I hold up my middle finger and her little gasp amuses me even more.

"What are you laughing at?" Mum asks.

"I'm at Jake's. Lucy's just being irritating, as usual," I joke, poking my tongue out at her.

"Oh, that's nice. I didn't know you were spending time there."

"Yep, and she can hear you so don't say anything bad about her," I grin as I watch Lucy roll her eyes.

"Hi, Mrs Styles," Lucy calls out.

"Hi Sweetheart," Mum responds, "Harry are you still coming for dinner tonight? You should bring Lucy with you. I'm not making anything fancy but I have plenty for the both of you."

I raise an eyebrow in question but Lucy looks straight down at Lola and I can see the anxiety bubbling.

"She'll be there," I answer for her, quickly adding, "She has a little dog, utterly adorable, you'll love her. Okay if she comes, too?"

Lucy's brow relaxes, her attention piqued to no doubt dissect the tone of my mother's answer.

"Of course! Fantastic, see you all at six. Love you."

"Love you, Mum," I end the call and Lucy looks like she wants to say something but it takes her a moment.

"She must have really missed you while you were away."

---

My parents' house is an hour drive without traffic so the fact that Lucy is running late is really starting to piss me off.  If I have to throw her over my shoulder and carry her out of here I will.