chapter 7

I woke up to strong rays of sunlight peeking through my window, nearly blinding me when I opened my eyes. When I sat up, I was immediately struck with a throbbing pain in my head. I placed my palm on my head, trying to ease the pain as best as I could.

I opened my nightstand drawer and dug through the unnecessary junk I kept in there. Once I found the small bottle of ibuprofen I was searching for, I popped two into my mouth and washed it down with water.

I laid back in my bed and tried to recollect the events that unfolded last night. I groaned, remembering the atrocities of the party. Then I remembered my final thoughts that I drifted off to sleep thinking about, and my eyes widened.

It was as though I had experienced some kind of epiphany last night. Like every confusing, jumbled up pieces of my life just fit together.

Although the concept of me being liking girls has always been background music, courtesy of Ricky, I had always just kind of ignored him and the small feeling I had inside me. But last night, I got in touch with my feelings. I allowed myself to be vulnerable with myself, and I couldn't deny that I... liked Skylar. Not in a friend crush way, but I liked her.

After I admitted it to myself, everything began to make sense. When I was younger, I would always obsess over female tv characters and celebrities, never the male ones. Although I convinced myself that I was only aesthetically pleased by them, I could see now that it wasn't the case.

It made sense as to why every boy who threw themselves at me never sparked my interest. But that didn't mean I wasn't into anyone... just not guys.

After I engaged in my own thoughts for a while trying to wrap my head around everything, I headed downstairs, where I found my mom and Jess's mom, Pam, cooking pancakes together. It wasn't rare that I would wake up to find her hanging out with my mom here, they were best friends. Ricky sat at the counter, devouring a heaping stack of pancakes.

"Nice of you to join us," she laughed, placing a plate with two pancakes before me.

"Morning, mom. Morning, Pam," I mumbled with my mouth full of pancake.

"Lighten up, it's the weekend!" she cheered.

Both Ricky and I mumbled a sad, "we're working today".

"Well, I'm not. Pam and I are going out for margs tonight!" she exclaimed, giving Pam a high-five.

"Pam, help her find a boyfriend to take her off our hands while you guys are out," I joked, earning a snicker from Ricky.

"Don't be ridiculous, Cara. My time for dating is over," she said, dismissing the idea.

"So dad gets a new skanky wife and you're not allowed to have a hot date every once in a while, what gives?".

I knew bringing up dad probably wasn't a good idea, but there was no reason why he should be happy and not her, who actually deserved happiness.

"Do not use that word when describing your stepmother, Cara. Have some respect," My mom gasped at my use of the word "skank". I knew she thought she was a skank too, she just was trying to look like the bigger person. I grimaced at the word stepmother. I hardly would call my father, my father. I have seen him once in the past 2 years. Deadbeat.

"You're right, she is a skank," Pam sneered, causing me to chuckle, get earning a glare from my mother.

"Mom, I hope you're not holding back from finding someone new because of us," Ricky said.

"I just don't think I'm ready yet, that's all. Glad to know I have everyone's blessing, though," she smiled, returning back to her pancakes.

"It's 7, we have to leave in half an hour, go change," Ricky said, glancing at his watch.