Chapter 22

I helped them pack up the last of the remaining boxes and slammed the van door shut when he pulled back to the house while Kathleen loaded the last of the children into the car.

The male, Nicholas, parked right behind Kathleen's van and got out. Slamming the door shut, he stalked towards her and ignored me. Anger filled his body, and I knew that he was mad at the female standing near the closed door with eyes wide and filled with fear. "G-"

"Nicholas," I called, interrupting him and watched as he turned his gaze to me. I walked towards them and folded my arms across my chest. I scowled and looked him up and down before looking him in the eyes. "I suggest you get into your car and leave." I kept my pace the same, knowing that if I moved any faster, I would have the urge to punch him in the nose.

Nicholas scowled and folded his arms across his chest. His brown eyes were dilated, and the closer I got to him, the smell of alcohol filled my nose. He was clearly intoxicated and clearly in a bad mood, but I didn't care because of the remaining people that needed to leave. "Why should I?" he asked, sneering. He looked me up and down and pursed his lips in disgust. "This is my house."

I held back an eye roll and scowled. "I don't care," I said. I looked at Kathleen. "Get into the car, and go there. Ethan already has a key to the place. He'll let you all in and help start unloading stuff."

Kathleen nodded her head. She got into the car and didn't look at her ex-husband. Her whole body was tense, and she was scared that Nicholas would stop her.

Nicholas took a step towards her, anger flashing through his eyes. "K-"

"Take another step towards her, and you will regret it," I said, warning him. I narrowed my eyes at him, and my nostrils flared. All I wanted to do was beat him into a pulp, but I knew that I would not be able to do that, not in front of them.

Nicholas glared at me. "What are you going to do about it?" he asked. He took a threatening step towards me and ignored Kathleen starting the van and driving on the grass to get to the road. "This is your fault." His face contorted to that of anger, and I shuddered, the feeling of a fight filling the air. "What did you do?"

"Merely shown her the light," I replied. I stuffed my hands in my pocket and shrugged my shoulders. "I told her that you were a drunk bastard and abusive. I told her that it was time to leave, and she finally agreed."

"She has nothing," Nicholas spat, little bits of his spit flying from his mouth. He stopped in front of me; his eyes zeroing in on me like I was his target. He sneered and got in my face, and it took all of my self-control not to beat his pompous ass back to his car. "She can do nothing except for being a spoiled brat. I should've killed her when I had the chance."

I raised an eyebrow and looked at him like he was stupid. My nostrils flared when he said that he should have killed her, but that was all the emotion I showed because I knew that if I showed anything else, then I would be the one going to jail. "You have no idea what she can or can't do, Nicholas," I replied. "You do not know anything about her."

Nicholas snorted. "I know that she is a slut," he said. "All of those kids are not mine."

"All of those kids are yours. You are the only one that had touched her like that." I looked him up and down and pursed my lips. "And, to be frank, I have no idea what she had seen in you."

And, to be honest, I didn't. Nicholas... wasn't someone I'd call "attractive" by all means with his slouching figure, making him shorter than he was, and his balding head. His eyes sat too wide on his face, and had thin lips that grew thinner when he pressed them into a firm line. With that, and his portly figure, he reminded me of a bug, a bug that needed to be squashed by something rather than keeping on living, and I was just the person to do it.

However, when a car drove slowly past us, I knew that I wouldn't be able to, for the cops were still nearby, and I wasn't in the mood to go to jail.

Sighing, I shook my head and took a step back, against my wishes. "Go near her or them, and it isn't the cops that you will have to worry about," I said.

Nicholas snorted and rolled his eyes. "And who do I have to worry about?" He looked me up and down and pursed his lips in disgust. "You?" he asked. "Do I really have to worry about you?"

"Yes," I replied. I took a step forward and narrowed my eyes, and my face grew darker and grimmer. A small smirk appeared on my face when Nicholas took a step back with his eyes going wide, and I let that smirk turn into a sneer. "And, you'd be wishing that the cops had gotten to you before I did."

And with that, I turned on my heels and walked to the van, ready to help them start a new life without him.

"This is not the end, Christina. I will get them back, and you will be going to jail when I am finished with you."

Swiftly, I turned on my heel and smirked at the male, who stayed in the last place that I had left. I narrowed my eyes, and my smirk turned darker. "No," I mused. "I'll be going to jail when I am done with you."

I turned away from him, walked the rest of the way to the van, and paused after opening the door. I looked at him again. "Mark my words, Nicholas," I said. "You'd wish the cops got to you first."

And with that, I got into the truck and nodded my head to Wally, who nodded his, started the van, and we moved the last bit of stuff to Kathleen's new house.