One

Jihyo

"Jisoo, Jisoo!"

I caught sight of a familiar figure racing towards me, nearly tripping over her own feet with an oblivious smile spread across her face. Ignoring the looks sent her way by her elders, she skids to a stop before me; hands on her knees as her small frame doubles over, out of breath. She looks up at me with her nine-year-old childishness

"Unnie, I have a surprise for you!" Y/N utters through her quick inhales of air, and for a second  I wondered how I even heard her. Her smile not once leaves her lips as her chest rises up and down, so contagious I find myself reciprocating.  A quiet giggle escapes my lips which has her perking up impossibly further.

"What is it?"

Y/N, now having regained her breath, tugged me to the nearest room. I watched as her hand slipped into her pocket, pulling out a folded piece of paper. Curious, I took it from her grasp and opened it up.

I subconsciously reached into my pocket. Sitting on the edge of my bed I hadn't realized I'd been drifting off into space until the tips of fingers scraped against a familiar jagged surface, old and crumbled from years of being salvaged. But as I pull it out nimbly, careful to not destroy it any further-- there's no mistaking what it is. A photograph; myself and the younger girl smiling in its center. Her arm wrapped around my neck whilst mine stood proud on my waist as if I was some type of superhero, party hats on our heads and face paint staining our clothes. In any other world, I wouldn't have recognized the other girl. Her face was hidden behind the film paper's crisp edges and accidental coffee spills. But as I flipped the photograph to its back and read the single sentence written in mumbles and jumbles, there was no forgetting what this was.

"...I'll always be here for you, no matter what."  I mumbled under my breath, reciting the words permanently etched across the creases. 

I don't bother wiping away the several tears which finally fell, sniffing as I stared down at my hands. No matter how hard I tried not to, I found my mind drifting back to her almost like second nature. No matter how much I tried, I could never find it within myself to let it go, leave it in the past and move on. One thing you're taught before you become an idol is to not get too attached. Idol life is busy and chaotic, you change along with the industry as it fights to keep you in relevance. When you're an idol, your family becomes your groupmate--  anybody before that becomes a memory. At least, that's what I'd been told. 

Y/N deserved better than that. 

Before I can entertain my thoughts much longer, the sound of a knock at the bedroom door brings me out of my daydream. Quickly wiping away my tears, I cleared my throat.

"Yes?" I called out once I was sure I looked presentable, silently folding the photograph and slipping into my bedside dresser.

 A familiar head peaks itself into the room as she opens the door slowly, warm eyes meeting my own. Her short hair clings to her forehead delicately as she levels me with teasing eyes. But the moment she gives me a once over and spares a quick glance around the room, it's as if she performs a complete one-eighty.

God, sometimes it confused me how Jeongyeon could be so perceptive.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Slipping into the room she closes the door firmly shut behind herself. Taking small steps in my direction she plops herself beside me on the edge of the bed.  Her voice is soft but there's no mistaking its knowing tinge, the way her eyes momentarily drift towards my bedside table. She knew.