Chapter One

"Harry! Harry, wake up!" I shouted at my twin brother. He groaned and rolled over, mumbling inaudibly. "Okay, I'll just go get Dad." His eyes jerked open and he sat up. "I'm up!" I smirked. "Works every time." Our Dad always used a bucket of cold water to get us up. Harry sighed, putting on his glasses. He's so easy to manipulate. "Oi! I am not!" Harry defended. I sighed. "Shoot, I forgot about the Legilimency." Harry yawned and stretched. "Why did you get me up at seven in the morning?" He exclaimed, gaping at his wristwatch. "Because, my dear brother, today is our eleventh birthday, which means we're finally old enough to go to Hogwarts!" His eyes widened, the sleep in his eyes fleeing in a heartbeat. "Merlin! How could I have forgotten?" He jumped out of his bed and we both ran out of our room.

Let me step back a few paces. I'm Alexis Potter, but I make everyone call me Lex because it sounds cooler. I live in a small village called Godric's Hollow in the great country of England. I live with my two brilliant parents, James and Lily, and you already know my twin brother from that intense introduction a moment ago.

I bet you're thinking: What in Merlin's name is Hogwarts? Let me explain. There are two types of human beings: witches/wizards, or muggles. There are also squibs, but that's a little complicated for you beginners. Witches and wizards are people who have magical abilities coursing through their veins from the moment they're born. Muggles, on the other hand, are just the opposite. They are people with no magical ability whatsoever, even if it runs in their family tree.

Now, to be able to practice these talents, young magic-blooded children attend the finest institution of the Wizarding World: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and at the mere age of eleven. When you arrive, you are sorted into one of four of the houses: Gryffindor, for the brave and chivalrous, Hufflepuff, for the loyal and honest, Ravenclaw, for the intelligent and creative, and Slytherin, for the cunning and ambitious. Harry and I were finally old enough and were almost bouncing off the walls with anticipation.

Now, for those of you with good memories, you might recall me using a term you're probably not familiar with: Legilimency. Am I right? I'll explain this as well. Legilimency is the act of navigating the layers of one's mind. In other words, it's mind-reading. Normally, witches and wizards would have to practice this art, but Harry and I were apparently born with it. It was always something we were capable of doing, but we didn't discover it until we were ten. We found it quite useful when it came to our pranking sessions. The only downside is that we can't read the minds of others, we can only hear each other in our heads. We can basically have conversations with each other without moving our mouths, even if we're separated by a great distance. We call it our Twin Telepathy.

Harry and I nearly tripped going too fast down the stairs. We entered the kitchen to see our favourite breakfast on the table: Pancakes! (side dishes including sausage and toast). "Happy Birthday!" Loud voices suddenly filled the room. We turned to our left to see our Mum, Dad, and our two uncles: Sirius and Remus, all standing with smiles on their faces. Harry and I giggled from the excitement. We ran up and hugged our parents first. This was one of those moments when I truly saw the resemblances between the four of us. Harry looked so much like Dad it was a little scary, and with his messy mop of hair alone. But he did have a few little specs of Mum in him, including her emerald eyes. I, on the other hand, look very much like Mum, but with Dad's jet-black hair and his chocolate-brown eyes.

"Don't we get hugs?" Sirius pouted. We laughed as we transferred over to them, Harry to Sirius and me to Remus. Seeing as we hadn't seen them in a while, we felt the urge to hug them even tighter. They weren't our uncles by blood, but they might as well have been. Dad, Sirius, and Remus all became best mates in their first year of Hogwarts, and they still were to this day.

As we all pulled away from our embrace, there was a loud rattling noise. "What's that?" I asked. "Well, that was supposed to be a surprise for later, but I guess you can have it now." Remus walked over to the broom cupboard and opened it. He struggled a bit before pulling out two metal cages, each containing one owl, both bigger than our heads. One was snowy white, and the other was a slick black. Remus handed us the cages, Harry receiving the white one, and I the black. "They're so cool!" Harry exclaimed. I poked my finger through the cage to pet mine, but it jerked forwards and nipped at my flesh, causing me to jerk my hand away. I looked down to see blood start to drip from the cut. I looked back to see the owl staring right back at me. "We're gonna get along just fine." "You need help." Harry's voice said in my head. "Yes I do, dear brother."