|9| A Cold Slumber

AN:
A little note here because I really have a question. You know that saying-thingy that 'the longer you're single, the lower your standards get'? I've noticed that it is true, except for people who read romance fanfic. Then our standards are so high that nobody normal can ever compare to them.

Has anyone else noticed that X3?

Also, so sorry I left this story for so long. How long has it been? Three months? Oops...
Hopefully the next chapter isn't in a few months again, but I'm busy with other projects and haven't had the want to write in this story all that much...

But hey! I'm back and hopefully this sudden inspiration will keep going 'till the end XD

**************************************

"Are you sure about this?" I looked up at Bucky from where he was standing near a glass window, looking out at the mist-enveloped trees. Shuri and a few Wakandan doctors were milling about in the adjacent room, prepping a cryo tube and making final adjustments.

He nodded, not taking his gaze away from the window. "I'm a danger to everyone as long as those words are in my head."

I blinked sympathetically and hobbled over to stand right next to his left side, shoulder touching his. "That could take months, you know?" Another nod. I sighed and turned my head to push it under his, cheek resting against his chest. I suppressed the whine that wanted to escape and settled with agreeing, knowing that nothing would change his mind. "Okay... If you're sure..."

"I am." He lifted his hand and rested it on my head, thumb gently rubbing the space between my ears. We stood there in silence, not sure who was comforting who at this point.

A gentle knock. I looked over my shoulder and Shuri lowered her hand from the wall. Her eyes shine with sympathy, her normally bubbly personality subdued with the seriousness of the situation. "We need to prepare Mr. Barnes for cryo now."

I nod and walk alongside Bucky as we enter the room, a doctor leading him to a table and taking his vitals. I sit down nearby as Steve enters the room as well. A defeated look flashes over his face before being covered up the closer he gets to his friend. His hands are buried in the pockets of the black jacket he's wearing. "Are you sure about this?"

Bucky smiles for a moment before looking down slightly. "I can't trust my own mind... So until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head I think going under is the best thing... for everyone." His hand lifts to rest on my head as a soft whine escapes my throat. He stands up without another word and steps up into the cryo chamber. A doctor buckles a strap over his chest and two over his legs. The glass pane lowers and hisses as it locks into place and seals him inside.

I whimper and hobble over to rest my nose against the glass by his head. "I'll be waiting, Bucky." He smiles before closing his eyes. The chamber hisses as ice coats the inside of the tube and chills my nose. He's obscured from view by a cloud of white, and I step back slightly with my tail drooping.

"Vitals normal. We'll begin work to remove the trigger words after a few days to allow him to completely fall under." Shuri spoke up softly from the side of the room and I nodded before slowly padding over to Steve. His hand lifted to stroke over my neck and shoulders in comforting motions.

"Come on, he's in the best hands." He murmured softly and gently led me out of the room. My tail drooped down with my ears as I stared at the floor. I knew he would wake up soon, but how long was a mystery.
"Thank you for this."

I look up as Steve begins to speak again, seeing T'Challa standing by the window. We walk closer and he smiles slightly. "Your friend and my father, they were both victims. If I can help one of them find peace..." He trails off and I gently nudge him with my head before looking out the window into the mist. Trees break through with the slight glimpse of a statue not too far off. It's shape, however, was obscured. But I could make out the general outline of an animal.