1: day one

"Jungkook's biopsy result is out."

My Dad and I immediately drove to the hospital as soon as we received the phone call. I didn't want to expect anything but I can't help but think of the worst. I know to myself that there is something wrong with me. My body feels different. I can't do the things I used to do. I'm in pain and they cannot find a reason for it despite the number of tests I've done before. The only possible answer is that I'm dying and today might be the day to confirm that.

We got into the Doctor's office and he suggested that we sit down before he breaks the news to us. I tried to keep my expectations to myself, whether it was good or bad news, I didn't want to give away my feelings easily. My Dad held my hand tightly. It's so warm but heartbreaking. He has been there for me since day one and has always shared my pain but now I might cause him more pain.

"Mr. Jeon, Jungkook." The Doctor spoke in a neutral tone as he hold a white file with my name clearly written on it. My Dad's grip on my hand tightened and I'm glad to feel something other than fear, "I'm sorry to be the one to say this but the biopsy result came out positive. Jungkook has stage 2 bone cancer."

My whole world crumbled to ashes right then and there. It was the first time that I saw my Dad speechless. I didn't feel anything. Maybe it the reality that I might die hasn't hit me yet.

"The good news is that it's not too late. Jungkook is still in the early stage. He can start chemotherapy treatments and we'll see from there, how he is going to react from it." The doctor added, "I'm not saying that by getting chemotherapy the cancer will be gone but it's worth the try."

"Jungkook, do you want try it?" My Dad called out my name and I wish he wasn't so hopeful.

"Okay." Was all I could say and that made him happy but that didn't change anything. I'm still dying and I'm desperately hoping it would be painless.

The doctor explained how the chemotherapy treatment works. I was told that it will be painful, I will have a lot of discomforts and I might even lose some, if not, all of the hair on my head. He didn't tell us how long I'll live. He said it's difficult to estimate now but there are cases that some lived more than 10 years while some not even 5 months. I got a bunch of prescritions and painkillers for my leg. The hospital gave me free crutches. I guess it's charity, a small token to give to those who are dying. Now I'm no different from those kids in those foundations, I'm a charity case.

"Jungkook, time for dinner." Dad knocked on my door while I lied in my bed, breathing quietly in the dark. "Jungkook?"

"I'm not hungry." I told him then I heard his footsteps becoming faint until the only sound I heard was my breathing. I was alone again in the dark.

Morning came and the sunlight penetrayed through the small gap of my curtain. I didn't feel different. Today, I get to use my new crutches because my right leg is in too much pain. Summer has started but I decided to drop out of school even if it was just 10 days before it was summer break. I didn't have a brave face to show to my friends. I didn't want to walk around school with this stupid crutches and feel their stares behind my back or hear their comfort words.

My Dad go to work every morning and only comes back when the sun has set so I spent a lot of time alone time. I got out of the house today because it felt stuffy to be indoors. Our backyard has a wooden swing so I decided to sit there but I fell down and felt pain when my hand cushioned my fall. I cried out when my crutches hit my right leg and it felt like my bone was breaking. Pathetic. That's one word to describe how I'm living my life right now.

"Hey, are you okay?"

I turned my head to my left and found a girl standing at the other side. She easily ran towards me. "Let me help you up."