~1~

Jasmin
I woke up in the morning and looked around at my bed room.
I live with my mom and dad for right now but soon I will be buying my own house.
My name is Jasmin and I'm from Chicago, Illinois. I grew up on the East Side along with my sister who is 2 years younger than me.

I just graduated from nursing school and i start my new job as a nurse at Mercy hospital today.
I walked into the bathroom right outside my door and started the shower.

The song Truth Hurts by Lizzo started playing on my phone that was sitting on the sink.

After the shower I put on my hot pink scrubs and my matching Nike's.

I let my natural curls do what they wanted.
My hair is long but that shrinkage.

I went down stairs to grab my breakfast smoothie then I went about my way.
I got into my car and drove to the hospital.
They have me working in the emergency unit slash ICU.

I walked in and it wasn't as busy as I thought would be.

The head walked up to me.
"Hey there I'm Lisa the head nurse... imma be training you for this week but next week your on your own." She said looking at me.
She was very fast past and talked very fast.
"Do to the fact that so many people get shot in Chicago we have to move fast and accurate, you gone see stuff that's gone stick with you for the rest of your life but it's up to you how you let it affect you." She said very fast.
"First patient, is a little boy he got shot in a drive by... this is a test to see if you will make it here for a long time." She said looking at me.

We walked into the room and grabbed a pair of gloves.
I couldn't help but look at how help less this little boy is,he looked so innocent.

"I know it's sad but it's apart of the job." Lisa said putting her gloves on.
I did as she did and she walked up to the boy.

"We write down how many milligrams to give them on the clip boards... check his stitches on his arm." She said looking at me.
I checked it and it was perfectly fine.

"It's time to change his band aid, and clean the wound." She said looking at me.

I started to dress the wound and change the band aid.
"Why is he still in here, the bullet went clean through?" I asked.
"He don't have a very good home, and somebody paid his bill plus a little extra to let him stay here." Lisa said covering him a little more.

We left out and saw a man standing outside the room watching the boy. I could tell exactly who it was.

"That man come and see him every day." Lisa said while looking at me.

He turned and looked at me and he started walking over to me.

"Little Jazz, looking good ma ma ." He said looking down at me.
"Hey d, what you doing up here?" I asked looking up at him.
"Checking on him, he lives on my block." D said looking down at me.

"That's sweet of you." I said looking at him.
"You work here now?" He asked looking at me.
"Yeah, today is my first day." I said looking up at him.
"That's good to know..." his phone started ringing.
"I gotta get up outta here but keep an eye out for  lil man for me." D said while looking at me.

"I got you don't worry about it." I said smiling.
He gave me a hug and kissed my forehead then left out.

That man is fine as wine baby. D is the top guy in the city. It's like when he walk into a room he demands respect and I like that no lie. He has been close to the family since we were kids, he grew up right up the street from me.
I'm 22 so that would make him 25.
Lisa walked over to me and looked at me.
"Mhmm, that's a fine man right there, you better snatch him up before I do." she said looking at me.