Burn

I stood on the river bank, staring at my reflection in the darkening water. I was still angry, the fire still simmering deep inside me. My eyes looked like pools of blood in the river—the churning water distorting my face.

I came very close to reaching for Sephraim through our link, but instead clenched my jaw as I slowly collapsed to my knees. Finally, all the pressure exploded from me as I shouted—screamed as hard as I could. My hands dug into the sand, clenching whatever material was in them tightly until my knuckles were white. I shook.

I wasn't totally sure what I was angry at. The events in the village square triggered a response, but my rage was much deeper than that. It was sitting in my chest waiting to claw its way out.

So I sat on the river bank, my eyes flooded with tears of anger, and broke it down for myself.

You're angry because Darius wouldn't except you, I began. You're angry because you feel left behind even though you asked Sephraim to take you back home. You're angry because Nan is dead, and father is a drunk. You're especially angry at yourself for doing that to him, and for leaving them behind so carelessly. Because even if you didn't ask Sephraim to take you away, you chose to stay. For all those months, you stayed with barely a thought about how it was affecting them. You're angry at the village for not changing like you wanted it to. You're angry at the people for being so naive about the outside world. I took a deep breath, letting my eyes close—tears falling down my cheeks. I wasn't sad, no. In fact I felt numb then.

You want to leave, I concluded. But first, you want to show them that you're powerful. You want them to feel small, like they made you feel for all those years. Especially since you got back.

My eyes shot open and I pushed myself to my feet. "What am I doing?" I whispered to myself, shaking my head slightly in disbelief, "You sound like a mad woman."

Then, a turning point.

I can make it go away, child. The voice began, We can be powerful and happy again.

I hadn't realized it, but I had been projecting my thoughts to Sephraim. I gasped a little bit.

I don't want to hurt anyone, I told her sternly.

I don't want you to either, she agreed. But all that anger will explode, sooner or later.

Come back, I begged softly. Take me back home.

I'll get you on the river bank?

I shook my head, even though she couldn't see me. No. The village.

-•-

I walked slowly back to the village from the river, my jaw clenched and eyes focused in front of me. The sun was set now, the fog of dusk falling over the Beyond. Torchlight came into view, only this time I didn't hesitate. Instead, I walked slowly, tension thick in the air as the village people watched me stride into the square. My hands clasped behind my back as I stopped in the village center.

I stood there for a few moments, watching as the village people murmured nervously amongst themselves. Finally, the man I wanted to see stumbled into view; the executioner of the morning.

I smiled to myself, watching his angered approach. But my smirk faded when I saw my father following closely behind. He placed a hand on the other man's chest, halting his movements before paving over to me. He placed both his hands on my upper arms just below my shoulders, his eyes searching my face.