The King's Vein

Silk Harbor was much smaller than Wetchport, and seemed to be more focused on imports and exports than parties and gambling dens. The sun was setting as we docked, casting a warm light over the small trade town. Gunweld and I sat sipping steaming cups of tea near the docks while Nik arranged our ride to Hychorra. I eyed Gunweld, watching him flinch whenever he needed to use his right arm. He'd assured me I had no reason to feel guilty for his taking, but it still didn't settle the ache I felt every time he cringed at the most basic physical task. 

Gunweld must've noticed my attentiveness to him, because he straightened up a bit in his seat. "No need to worry yourself about me, my lady," he said. "Once we're on the skiff I'll be just fine."

I forced a smile and nodded at him. I saw his eyes focus on something behind me. I followed his gaze, turning to see Nik walking toward us. He'd replaced his dirty shirt with a fresh one provided by the captain of the ship we'd taken after he'd caught on to Nik's true identity. Luckily for me, my name hadn't gotten much attention this far south. He also shaved his stubble on our way here, giving him his youthful, boyish charm back. 

He sat in the third chair around the little wooden crate table we found, tossing three slips of paper onto it. "We can either board a skiff now and travel through the night or sleep here and board in the morning," he informed us.

Gunweld and Nik both looked to me. "I think it should be up to Gunweld," I said. "He is the one who needs the rest the most."

Gunweld scoffed. "Stop your fussing about me, my lady. I'm fine to travel."

My need to reassure myself over Gunweld was overwhelmed by my need to return home as quickly as possible. Though I'd done well enough to not let it on, I was missing Darius terribly, and being separated from him was beginning to take its toll. I'd grown fatigued, and found it hard to organize my thoughts. All a side effect of the True Bond, I assumed. I'd refused to tell Nik anything. The last thing I needed was him benching me over discombobulation. 

"If you believe you're well enough to travel," I said tentatively, "Then I think we should leave tonight. The quicker we get to Hychorra, the sooner we can leave."

Nik clapped his hands together, rising from his chair. "Right then, people. We've got a boat to catch."

...

Luckily for us, boarding for a night sail seemed to be the best idea I'd had. Since most people were weary from traveling to Silk Harbor, most opted to stay the night in a comfortable bed rather than on the deck of a skiff, meaning there was plenty of room for the three of us. Though, we weren't alone. 

Across from us, was a father and his two daughters. Each had the straight black hair of the Charted Isle, and the older daughter often sang songs from their village. They were headed to the City of Shadows, as the youngest daughter stirred with a power they couldn't explain. I watched her place her palm against the deck after the lamps had been lit, a web of ice blooming from underneath it. I found myself thinking of Faye. 

Beside us, were two brothers hoping to find riches in the city. Both had fiery red hair, and spoke with the same drumming accent the doting maid Mistress Carlton spoke with. The younger brother could balance a dagger point down on his palm for minutes, and the older was constantly scolding him for it. "You'll lose a finger, you idiot," the eldest would say. "We'll need all of them if we want to work somewhere worth a damn." 

Lastly, was a young girl seated alone. The entirety of the first night, she kept to herself, clutching what I thought was a blanket to her stomach. It wasn't until dawn broke the next morning that I realized she hadn't been holding anything at all--she was pregnant.