Fallen

I hadn't spoken to Nik since our argument. Our fighting lessons seemed to cease as autumn faded to winter. The first snow dusted the fort, creating a mythic scene around the place I now called home.

I stood on the balcony of my chambers, the sea churning angrily as the weather urged it on.  My breath puffed out in visible white clouds as I stood facing the rough waves, the fur cloak fashioned for me by the seamstress wrapped tightly around my body. Darius flew as a silent black blur through the fog. I watched his wings guide each movement, bringing a certain feeling of peace to me—the thought of flying usually an outlet of comfort.

I'd had a second dream—vision—shared with Nik just the night before. It was the same as the last, black smoke choking the both of us until it overtook fully. This time, however, Nik was able to reach me. His hand tore through the suffocating vapor and latched itself onto my wrist, leaving bruises where his fingers gripped my flesh.

Now, standing on the balcony in an attempt to soothe my burning skin I found my mind stirring yet again. Nik wouldn't reveal the reason behind our linked dreams, or why he happened to be projecting them to me.

I leaned forward, letting my weight fall to my arms against the balcony railing. My head dipped down to rest in a hang between my shoulders. I was exhausted, and my head ached from the thoughts that plagued it. I pushed myself up and away from the edge of the cliff, my eyes falling on Darius's silhouette approaching through the fog.

His size now was much larger than that of Sephraim. He truly was a beast. His horns stood menacingly on top of his head, each point twisted into an obsidian spear. Razors easily as long as my arm adorned is lips, creating a jagged grin across his scaled face. And the golden eyes—those eyes still burned as hot and piercing as ever.

My eyes followed as he swooped without a sound save the whip of the wind over my head. In his grasp was something large and without a clear figure. I took that as my queue to return inside. I dressed myself in the winter outfit Mavis had created—fur lined pants of black laced up at my belly button, a long sleeve made of a soft fabric covered my torso. The same heavy black coat lined with dark furs I'd worn this morning was tossed over my shoulders and tied at the neck. The entire outfit came with a few extra pieces, like an outer corset and an overcoat meant to go under the cloak, but I wished to be comfortable.

I walked quietly from my chambers out into the gaping great hall. Sephraim wasn't there this morning, but breakfast was still lined on the table. A butchered boar sat in the center of the long table, accompanied by the usual fruits and leaves gathered specifically for me.

I wasn't feeling very hungry, so I grabbed a handful of berries from the table and made my way out of giant doors left ajar. Darius was there, as well as Sephraim—both blocking my view from whatever their attention was consumed by. I dropped the berries, brushing my hands together to remove whatever juices had leaked onto them, and moved toward them.

Sephraim noticed my presence, stepping out of the way so I could see what they were examining. It seemed to be a huge gray blob, a skeleton mostly. Rough, silvery skin gripped a rib cage and upon closer inspection I was able to make out a face.

Is that..? I began.

A dragon, Darius answered.

I felt the breath leak from my lungs as the reality of that settled on me. I hadn't ever truly gave much thought to the possibility of encountering any dragon other than Sephraim and Darius.

Where did it come from? I asked, stepping closer to better see the profile of the dragon skull. It was small, much smaller than either of the dragons I'd come to be associated with. It's eyes had disappeared into gaping holes of nothing into its skull. Short and straight horns, one cracked and incomplete, sat on its head as a solemn crown.