guilt & sacrifice

"What is it Tony?", She asked, her voice a whisper

"It's this guilty feeling.", I said, feeling somewhat frustrated.
Her eyes were moist as she shut them.
She released a deep breath and said,
"Tony, we'll be okay. Just do what you think is correct.", She said looking up at me.

She slowly placed her hand on my cheek, rubbing off the tear that had flowed down.
"I don't care what you do, who you stay with, I'll always be there when you need me.", She whispered softly.
"Does it not hurt you?", I asked, my voice breaking.
"No. It doesn't. The truth cannot be changed and it is, that you are gone.", She whispered back.
"I'm here for now."
"That doesn't change the truth.", She whispered back.

Both of us stopped talking, as I stared into her eyes.
Oblivious to the whole world.
It was so painful to see in her eyes, the pain they held seemed to pierce my heart like teary daggers.

"Tony, I've tried to stop you, but you never did. I won't stop you anymore, if you believe that you feel for him that way don't bother about me. I'll manage.", She said now placing her other hand on my cheek wiping off my tears. I shut my eyes as we edged closer to each other. I bent my head and so did she as our foreheads touched. I did not open my eyes but I could feel her pain.

No, maybe I was wrong.
She always deserved better and I couldn't just move away from her. This was all so wrong.
I'll tell Steve, but won't that be wrong with him too?
It was all so tough as I felt Pepper's ached breath on my chest.

I opened my eyes to look at her. Her eyes were rigidly shut and her hands at my neck, holding me close to her. I wrapped my hands around her as I hugged her.

She immediately hugged me tightly, as if her life depended on me.

"Tony.", She whispered.
"Hmm.", Went my reply as I was at a total loss of words.
"I'll be okay. Trust me. I know you love him, and that's not from today or a few days back.."
"But–"
"No. Listen to me.", She said rigidly. I fell silent at once.
"Don't leave him. You've always yearned for him, I knew it. And now that for once you have him, don't let him go.", She said as she released me.

She looked at me with a smile, as if she was happy just to hold me close to her this way.

"What about you?", I asked.
"I'll be fine. Everything will be fine, Tony. For once, do what your heart wants you to do without feeling guilty. You deserve to be happy, Tony.", She said softly.
"And don't you deserve happiness?", I asked.
She smiled at me and said,
"I'm happy. I'm happy to just see you everyday, munching on cheeseburgers. I'm happy now, that you are here, standing opposite to me. I am happy, Tony. I don't need any more happiness. You need it, so don't let it go.", She said as I nodded.

"Alright, before anyone comes we've got to go back.", She said as I nodded and we headed back to the Avengers Tower.

We walked in to find Steve pacing across the hall impatiently.
He paused as he noticed me.
"Oh, so you are here.", He said, as it relieved.
"Where else would I be?", I asked with a raised brow. Just then he noticed Pepper beside me and fell silent.
"Oh hi, Pepper. I guess Peter was searching for you.", Steve said with his ever so charming smile.
"Oh, alright, I'll check out. Bye Tony.", She said as I nodded and said,
"Bye."

She walked down towards Peter's room.

"Where had you been?", Steve asked walking up to me, looking agitated.
"At my grave.", I said simply.
"Tell me something Tony, you love her right? So you know do you want to be with her or something in that case I'll not come in between you guys..", he said as I finally sighed.
"So what will you do?", I asked with a disgusted look.

"I'll you go just move away from you.."
"And?"
"Look at you from afar and not speak to you.."
"And?"
"Love you secretly but never tell you.. now don't say and.", He said looking sadly at me.
"Who said I was gonna say that?", I asked before punching him hard on his face.
"Bloody hell! Tony Stark!", He said after reviving from the punch.
"One more time you say that shit, you'll find your nose broken.", I said giving him a disgusted look as he pulled me by my collar,
"I'm not saying something wrong!", He shouted.

"Oh yes, you are! I love you, you idiot and you pretend like you're gonna sacrifice your love for my happiness.. who the bloody heck are you?!", I asked him in irritation.
"That is because I love you too, you fool!", He said.

"And that's the best love confession ever.", It was Natasha standing and staring at us with her arms crossed in front of her.
We immediately moved away, pretending like nothing ever happened.

"Oh, did I just stop you guys from killing each other while confessing you love?", I asked with her signature smirk.
"Oh yeah, you did Nat. Thanks for that by the way.", I said now straightening my shirt's collar.
"Oh you're welcome, Tony.", She said before turning away.

"And by the way, you're the cutest couple I've ever seen.", She said suddenly turning towards us with a wink.

", She said suddenly turning towards us with a wink