Chapter 14 - Addiction

Want some awesome GoT merch? Go to https://unrivaledmerch.com/game-of-thrones/ and enter the discount code "gotwriter" for 10% off your order! They've got some really amazing stuff in their store, plus FREE shipping! Check it out :D

- - -

It had been weeks. Months. Her arm was unpracticed with the long blade and so she held it somewhat awkwardly in her left hand; just as awkwardly with her right. She turned it to her left, swung the blade's weight across the palm of her hand and fingertips. Her hand began to remember. The movements became more deft and swift. The blade would slice through the air, cutting it with its sharp edge. It was like dancing. She moved, letting her sword direct her and her feet carry her. She imagined an invisible opponent, imagined him losing.

Lyon's dancing last from dawn until someone found her hiding place. A secret balcony she had once shared with Arya and her dancing teacher. She had decided it had been far too long since her last dance. She was bathed in sweat when Olenna Tyrell wandered upon Lyon performing her dance- twisting and flipping against an opponent Lady Olenna could not see. Nevertheless, she was brought to clap.

Lyon landed on her two feet and spun. Her chest heaving from exertion, she sheathed her blade, managing a tired grin. "Think the King will add me to his Kingsguard?"

Olenna raised her brow. "You fancy being a knight? A peculiar wish for a woman."

"I think my peculiarity is the one thing I'm known for."

"So it would be." She did not chuckle but Lyon could see the amusement in her eyes. With her blade away, Lyon made her way toward a table at the edge of the room. That's where the wine sat, untouched. As Lyon moved to pour a goblet, Olenna's hand stopped upon her wrist. Lyon set the decanter down. "Wine is good and all but it addles the mind. More so when one cannot stop themselves from drinking it. I have seen many people brought to their lowest by drink, child. Beware what ebbs the pain. It's not always good for you. Or Sansa, for that matter."

Lyon returned her hand to her side. "I... I'd best wash, my Lady. Please excuse me." She ducked away from Olenna and took off back toward her rooms, feeling the shame tingle in her neck. Her father had warned her of her reliance once before, but it felt different when others began to observe it as well. Or Sansa, for that matter. Again, shame.

She stepped into her room and drew her own bath, though the water was cold and stale. She stripped and sunk into her bath and exhaled as the water reached under her flesh and froze her to the bone. She didn't shudder, hardly felt the cold at all.

A knock sounded at her door. She asked who it was, and Maergery slid into the room and closed the door behind her. The lock clicked.

Lyon raised an eyebrow, the slunk further into her tub. She made herself comfortable as Maergery made her way over and knelt beside the basin. "I just ran into your grandmother. She caught me practicing outside. Scolded me for drinking too much wine."

"You do depend on it often." Maergery leaned against the basin. Lyon reached out her hand, lightly touching her hair.

"I don't want to anymore. It's... not good for me or Sansa." She said. Maergery didn't have to say anything. Lyon knew she agreed. "I won't drink it anymore. Will you help me?"

Maergery turned to her, seeming almost alarmed at the question. "Of course I will."

Lyon's hand touched Maergery's cheek. She shuddered at the touch. "Your hand is cold."

"From the water. I still have to wash."

"Let me help you."

It was usually Vio who helped Lyon bathe, but she did not mind the feeling of Maergery touching her hair, running soap over her skin. She relaxed into it, even, feeling the exhaustion seep from her bones as the cold washed it away. Lyon let Maergery help her to her feet, dripping now. She dried, but not yet did she dress.