10| Claire

The burning pain was back

Her eyes shot open. Blinding white light burned her retinas.

Her breaths came out in rapid pants as she blinked rapidly. Where was she?

Everything came back in short flashes. The bottle of water. Feeling woozy. And Daniel. He said . . . he said she would be the next experiment.

Sweat coated her entire body, soaking her clothes.

"Oh good. You're awake."

Claire froze, turning to find Savannah sitting to her left. Her raven hair was tied back in a loose ponytail, hanging over her shoulder. She leaned forward.

"How do you feel?"

"Like shit, Dr. Phil. What the hell did you guys do to me," Claire snapped in a hoarse voice.

A sly grin spread across Savannah's face. "We infected you eight hours ago, right after administering our state of the art vaccine."

"You mean the shot that Dr. Martin has failed to cure anyone with? When will you guys give up? You've tried so much. Just let us go."

Savannah shook her head. "Not everything. We've viewed this as a cure. But maybe there isn't a cure. What if there is just a preventative? A vaccination to this mutated form of the virus."

Sharp pain twisted in Claire's gut. She let out a loud gasp and gripped the bedsheets. Through barred teeth, Claire asked, "Why? Why me?"

Savannah shrugged. "Why not? Desperate times call for desperate measures."

"You're torturing a kid. I can't see how you two justify that."

"One life could transform the future of humanity."

Claire started to respond but a coughing fit racked her body. This was it. This was how she would die. Alone.

"You should relax. Do you really want to spend your final hours in agony?" Savannah crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair.