15| Arryn

"We should turn back," Arryn said as she sucked in another deep breath to please her pleading lungs

"We should turn back," Arryn said as she sucked in another deep breath to please her pleading lungs. Times like these made her wish she took track back in high school. Her valedictorian status didn't help much when fighting and outrunning zombies.

"There are too many of them. Listen."

Groans and banging of the undead echoed in the otherwise silent room.

Austin pointed in the direction of the noise. "The sound probably brought more of them in. While you are a highly-skilled fighter now, I doubt we could both take down that many. Ten or more is way different than one or two."

Highly skilled? She nearly blushed at the compliment.

"So we go through the zoo?"

He nodded. "I don't see another option, really. The good thing is everything should be caged. So maybe it will be just like your regular zoo visit, except everything behind the bars really wants to kill you."

A pang of sadness washed over her as she recalled her childhood, spending countless days at the zoo with her father. She'd ride on his back, feeling as tall as a giraffe as they walked exhibit to exhibit. Her dad would buy her bags of feed to give to the goats and sheep at the petting zoo. Her favorites were always the big cats. The lions, tigers, and cheetahs. There was just something about them that drew her to them. They way they lounged out in the sun with their beautiful, patterned fur coats. She'd have to beg her father to let her watch them for a few minutes longer.

Dr. Dolittle—the Eddie Murphy one—was another favorite pass time of Arryn's. She often imagined talking to the big cats behind the glass, wishing they would say something back. Watching that movie and constant trips to the zoo inspired her to become a veterinarian when she got older. Unfortunately, the very things she loved were now the same thing she feared.

"Earth to Arryn, do you copy?"Austin called, waving his hand in front of her eyes.

"What? Sorry." She snapped her attention back to the here and now.

"I said that once we get out of here, the hospital is only a few miles away. We could probably make it by nightfall."

She nodded. "Good. I'm ready to see Claire again. It's been too long, Austin."