26| Austin

Austin woke to aching muscles and a burning sensation in his chest

Austin woke to aching muscles and a burning sensation in his chest. Sweat clung to every inch of his skin. He rested his hand against his cheek, feeling the heat radiating from the area.

Why was he so hot? Did he have a fever?

It took some time for his eyes to adjust to the darkroom. A small, battery-operated lantern sat on the bedside table next to him. It provided enough light to illuminate the bed. The rest of the room was shrouded in darkness. No light shone through the window, leading him to believe that either the windows had been blacked out, or night had fallen.

How did he get here? And where was here exactly? The last thing he remembered was a tiger knocking him off his feet, his back hitting the concrete hard. Gunshots cracked in his mind and the tiger went limp on top of him. Everything after that was hazy. There were voices talking above him, but he couldn't make out what they were saying. He must've blacked out soon after that.

He peered down at his chest to find he was shirtless. Pulling back the thin layer of blankets, he found his chest covered in a wrap. Red, inflamed skin peeked out from the edges of the cloth. His scratch must've gotten infected. Arryn's doctoring could only go so far he supposed. 

Arryn! He patted the bed beside him to find it empty. Scanning the room, he found no sign of her. Where was she? Did the people who took him take her as well? Were they being held prisoner here? Or were they guests?

One way or another he was going to find out. If they hurt her they were dead.

A knock startled him out of his thoughts. The door opened and a dark-haired, bearded man entered the room. He wore an outfit that reminded Austin of the Brawny paper towel man.

"You have a visitor," the man said, wasting no time for introductions. He stepped aside and in hobbled Arryn. She walked hunched over, a hand resting tenderly on her back. Her jaw was clenched tight.

"Arryn," Austin breathed, sitting up in the bed a little too quickly. Pain shot through his sore muscles.

Her pained expression melted into one of joy. "Austin!"