Chapter 1

Ten seconds until the end of school. Until I am free to do what I please.

Nine seconds, eight seconds, seven seconds....

Six seconds until I can finally leave this stupid town.

Five seconds, four seconds, three seconds, two seconds...

One.

Every single senior around me throws their papers up in the air. Forget about the graduation caps, we did that last night. But now, we were free people. We could leave. No more rules.

I, Snow White, was a free woman and hated my beautiful name. My parents named me Snow White after the fairytale character because I had pale skin and black hair when I was born. No other freaking reason at all. Just that one. I can say, however, I have never been picked on in my life. Just asked why my parents chose to name me that. When people asked me why I was named that and I told people the reason, they only nodded their head or smiled in sympathy.

Therefore, I hate my beautiful name.

"Hey, Snow! Congrats on leaving, you're the first." Said my science teacher, Mr.Check. He really wasn't nice to look at, but he was a cool dude. Let us play games while he was teaching, listen to music while doing work, use calculators on tests, research stuff that we don't know on the tests, that sort of stuff.

"Oh really? I plan on leaving for Kansas next Tuesday, but don't want to leave without saying goodbye." I managed to say through all the cheering. Most of us were trying to leave, but when someone tried, they got stuck in the doorway and had to start all over again.

The room was cold, with the smell of success. The bricks shined with our victory, and the floors squeaked with the sound of brand new sneakers. The science posters on the walls covered all the scorch marks and stains we had managed to create during our high school years at Nevermonte High. Now, the scorch marks are there for science classes to remember that we were there, we succeeded in life, and we didn't die on our way here.

"No one cares if you say goodbye or not. You will come back here sooner or later, they always do." And that was the last I saw of my science teacher. May he forever be remembered as the goofy, smiley, nerdy guy he is...was.

Everyone just kept leaving until it was only I left. Only one single person in the science room. It would be my last time in that room too. I slowly, carefully, walked towards the door, the exit of the old beginning and an entrance to the new one. I stopped right in the doorway to savor this moment, to relish in the wonderfulness of my own accomplishments. And then I did something I had only ever dreamed of.

I took a step out the door and out of school.

Watch out, world. Here I come.

...

"Oh, Snow! How was it?" My brother asked. He was my only family now. Mother died three years ago in a car accident, father died two years ago from overpowering grief of mothers death. My brother, Henry, is only just turning 24 in a few months, he's been looking after me until now. But now, after all his complaining about me not cleaning my room or taking care if my dirty clothes, he doesn't want me to leave on Tuesday, in three days.

"Same as any other last day of school. Boring and unnecessary. Now I must get packing." I said to him. He looked at me in sadness. I am also his only family, so I know how he feels about me leaving. He doesn't have any friends, family (besides me), or a girlfriend. Just me, the boring, strange, sister who always has her nose in a book.

"Snow White, you can't leave me here all alone." He whispered. He already had tears running down his face. But I couldn't pity him. Not when he didn't make the same choice I am. Not when he didn't leave when mom had told him to.