Chapter 2

The interview process is today. It will decide whether I'm a rich individual in society and whether I will have a rich husband or a poor husband.

Will I be rated a 10 or a 5? Will I be forced into marriage? Or will I escape this fate in search of a mystery land.

"Rain the outfit that I bought you. Put on some make up and look presentable," my mother insisted.

"I know mother. Beauty is one of the categories that they score us on," I said.

I put on the dress that my mother bought me and some light makeup. I was starting to get nervous. We took a bus to the interview so I wouldn't get sweaty walking.

"Remember to smile and be positive," my mother says.

I nod trying to focus on walking to the door.

I sign in at the front desk. I'm asked to fill out a form which I do. Then I am taken to a room with long windows. My eyes fixate on the chair that I'm guided towards. There are three empty chairs in front of me.

Soon two men file in and take their seats. A woman comes in last.

"Your name?" The first man asks.

"Rain Kennedy," I said boldly.

"Rain we will begin with simple questions," the woman said.

"What is your favorite school subject," she asked.

English, the thought comes to mind.

The answer I've rehearsed many times in front of the mirror. And when she asks why I'll say because it's a form of communication and because writing is complex.

But instead I say—

"Art," I blurt out.

I see a look of confusion among them. At school the art we make replicates real life. To adults art is messy and not at all orderly.

"Why?" One of the men asks.

"Because it's complex and shows feeling," I say breathlessly.

I can't control my voice. It's like a monster inside me had taken over and it revealing all my secrets.

"Rain what profession would you like to do in the future?" The woman asks.

This is it. She's giving me a chance to prove my intelligence and determination.

I press my lips tightly and take a breath.

"Teacher. I want to help others learn," I say the well rehearsed line.

I seem to have the monster inside under control.

She nods and smiles.

"Rain what are you looking for in a partner?" They ask me as if it's my idea to get married.

"Loyalty," I say.

"Rain tell us something that shows your intellectual abilities," one of them said.

"I am a fast thinker and I have received As on my report card," I state.

They take some notes.

"Final question. Is there anything you'd like to tell us?" The woman asks.

That I don't want to get married. I want to be free to do whatever I want. And my parents are secretly planning my escape. 

"No, nothing at all," I say.

The interviewers take a moment to compare notes in front of me.

I hear snippets of their fast conversation.

"She seems quite intelligent—

"But she is unrefined. Messy."

"Rain is nature for her age."

"Too bad she isn't a looker"

"But she's not plain either."

"Our decision has been made," the woman states.

I take a deep breath