II

The day had gone on too long for the prince. Yet, the evening brought nothing promising either. He sat at the window of the carriage, holding a frown as he watched the trees and fields pass by. He could see ranches and farms as far as the eye could see, filled with horses and cattle and sheep all kept securely in their fences. It didn't sadden him, but it all looked strangely familiar. He understood well enough what it was like to feel imprisoned, yet so close to freedom.

"Are you excited, brother?" the taller prince asked.

The older one scoffed. "To see that blonde bimbo and her clone? Sure, why wouldn't I be?" he replied, his tone dripping to the core with sarcasm as he rolled his eyes.

"You will not behave as such to the princess or queen," his father scolded, crossing his arms. "We need this to work."

"What? So you can inherit their land? And what do I get out of it?"

"A bride," the king stated matter-of-factly. "You get a bride, boy. Someone to rule the kingdom with when that witch and I are gone."

"Father, I don't-"

"A bride? That 's it? Nothing else?" The prince laughed. "Oh, my goodness, that's rich!" He turned to his brother.

"Do you hear that, Ganon? I get a bride!" he exclaimed. "Now I know you aren't the brightest, so let me explain what a bride is: a useless, no good waste of my precious time."

The king narrowed his eyes at his eldest son. "I'd expect you to be grateful, considering you could never get a single demon to take even the slightest interest in you at home. Besides, you get the throne. That's more than Ganondorf will get, you know."

The prince frowned. "If only you knew, Father," he thought to himself.

He turned back to the window, looking up at the sky filled with clouds. They contrasted the world beneath them perfectly. While all these creatures are kept hidden away, the clouds could be as free as they desired. They could go wherever they wanted to and look down at the beauty of the world. He sighed.

"If only you knew how little a throne meant to me if I could just have what really made me happy..."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Link ran through the halls of the castle, dodging guards left and right in hopes he wasn't caught, until he reached the ballroom doors. Standing there as promised was Impa with fabrics in her arms.

The Sheikah warrior sighed in relief as Link came closer. "Thank goodness, you're here."

"Yep! Just like I said I would!" he chirped. "So where is it?"

Impa nodded, handing the bundle of clothes in her hand to Link. The blond examined them with bright, blue eyes.

"You can change downstairs. I'll give you your mask when you come back," she informed him. "Our main guests have yet to arrive, so hurry up and get in position."

Link grinned. "You got it!"

With that, the boy raced to the servants' quarters. He ran to his room and closed the door behind him. Laying out the clothes on his bed, he focused on undressing himself first. Link threw off the dirt-covered, torn shirt he wore for nearly a week. Following that were his trousers, holes adorning the knees, that were small enough to practically be long shorts. Lastly were his shoes, all worn out and in need of replacement. Sadly, he wouldn't be getting another pair for a month now.

Next came the redressing. Link struggled with some of the clothing, including the button-up shirt Impa provided as well as the tie. But when he was fully clothed again, he looked at the glass hung up on his wall that he used as a mirror to admire himself. He looked like a noble now! All he needed to complete the look was a mask.