Chapter 3 - Living In The Past

The year is now 2020, in a small town called Todos Santos in the country of Mexico. It is a casual day in the town, people walking past each other doing their everyday routine. Along one street, it was quieter than the surrounding areas, as one hooded individual was walking down it. Every moment the individual stopped, they would look around making sure they were not being followed or anyone noticing. 

Eventually, the lone individual comes up to a small house, stopping at the front door and once again checking their surroundings. As the individual was looking around they stick their hand in their pocket and pull out a set of keys, using the keys to unlock the door and enter the house. After entering the house, rather quickly, the individual goes around the house and closes ever window and curtain in sight. With the curtains closed, they turn on a lamp giving light in the darkroom and sits on a couch. Relaxing in the seat the individual reaches into their pocket again, only this time pulling out an old style pocket watch, with the year 1887 engraved on it and the name John Brady.

Pulling their hood off, the individual reveals to be a young man around his early thirties, brown hair with a blonde-tipped cowlick, and scars on his face. One scar was running down his left eye and one running down inwards of his right corner lip. 

Clicking a side switch on the watch, the item opens up, with the bottom showing a beat up clock that is frozen in motion, while the top part shows a picture of the young man in a younger version and a mid-aged man next to him. The sight of the photo causes tears to well up in the young man's eyes as he begins to have flashbacks.

It is the year 1888, in an older version of the town of Todos Santos. John Brady is seen alongside Adrian walking through the small town, both carrying items as their horse are carrying the rest of the cargo. All three make it to another set of people, as they exchange the items to the second party as they respond with gratefulness. 

John takes note of a group of young men and women communicating with each other. He addresses Adrian, "Son!" Adrian looks to his father as he continues, "How bout you mingle with those youngens over there. They look about your age."

Adrian draws his attention towards the group his father was referring to. Closing his eyes he speaks, "Not this again Pa. You know I don't do well with others."

John laughs at his son's complaint, replying, "Boy! You're a young man now. They young adults like you, I'm sure it means they are mature about it."

Looking to his father Adrian responds, "I'm different no matter what age. They will look down on me like I'm just common dirt. They always do." After stating his thoughts Adrian looked to walk away, only to be stopped by his father grabbing his shoulder.

"Son listen here. You are different. There is nothing wrong with that. Anyone who has a problem with that knows nothing, and are just self-centered." John walks in front of his son and continues, "Everyone is different in their way. Everyone is unique in their way and has their purpose. All those people who put you down, they ain't living up to their purpose. They see something in you they wished they had, so they try to dissuade you. Don't let any other person judge your worth. Instead, make a difference, make that difference for others, if they don't care, move on. But don't put yourself down about it. You hear me son?" 

Adrian only continues to look down. John takes note of this and changes his tone. Trying to make the situation positive he laughs and speaks, "Oh I get it." This brought confusion to Adrian, his father continues, "You think you ain't good looking."

The last statement made Adrian dumbfounded, gawking and dropping his jaw. He speaks, trying to get the words out, "Well...ugh..its just...well look at this. I mean...that’s not what I mean!" Motioning his hand over the scars on his face followed by trying to rethink his words.

John again laughs and puts his arm over Adrian's shoulders. "Boy, they don't know how you got them scars. Besides, I have seen someone once who has no eye altogether and he still walking with a posey. You look handsome to me boy, and I am betting the ladies do too."

Although Adrian believes his dad didn’t fully understand what he was trying to say, he could not help but crack a snicker.

John caught the snicker from his son. "There it is boy." 

After hearing his father address his snicker Adrian could help but blush in embarrassment. Looking towards the group of young adults Adrian begins to think. His attention gets drawn back to his father when he received a pat against his chest.

"Listen, son, everything will be ok. You may not know it now, but you will be doing incredible things." John addresses his son in a serious tone and continues, "You are different, but you can make a difference. Say that for me, my boy."

The demand caught Adrian off guard, taking time to think he speaks, "I am different...but I can make a difference."

After hearing his son say those words, John nods his head in approval. Speaking to his son, "That'll do son." John grabs the robe to his horse, directing it to move as he and his son move on. He continues, "Know this, even if these people don't care for you, there are many more out there who will notice you and see the value in you. The world may have a lot of bad hearted people, but not all are like that. You are an example." 

The last quote made Adrian smile, having a sense of hope build up within him.

Noticing Adrian's smile, John smirks and makes one last remark, "Besides, you got at least one woman in your life. Ain't that right girl?" John pats on his horse as the horse responds with a nicker.

Looking at the horse Adrian could not help but make a bigger smile and laugh, causing John to feel happy, causing him to hug his son, with Adrian returning the favor.

Finishing his flashback memory Adrian continues to shed tears as he looks at the watch. Wiping away the tears in his eyes Adrian closes his eyes and speaks, "I am different, but I can still make a difference. I am different, but I can make a difference." Having finished repeating the quote his father told him, Adrian wipes the remainder of tears in his eyes and closes the watch. 

Having calmed down he reaches for the TV remote next to him to turn on the television. Surfing through the channels he comes across the news, showing local news alert of a fire happening close to his location. Adrian stands on his feet, feeling a sense of compulsion kicking in. Looking down at the watch in his hands than back to the television, Adrian nods his head. Determination fills up within Adrian, commenting to himself as he clenches his fist, "Alright, Pa. Alright."