Prayer and Confession pt. 1

James 5:13-15

"Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, then shall be forgiven him." 

James  5:13-15 

Other references: Ephesians 5:18-19,  Isaiah 33:24, and Acts 16:24-31, 

Vs 13: "Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms." 

  "Afflicted" means pain, suffering, or in trouble.

"Psalms" is is praises.

Are you troubled? Pray to God! It seriously makes everything better, trust me. Ephesians 5:19 states 

"Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord."  

In the verse just before 19, it says "be filled with the Spirit;" Then continues with verse 19, talking about how you should always be praising him, and singing to him. For He made us! When Paul and Silas were imprisoned for trying to simply share the gospel, they sung! Inspire of being shackled to the prison walls and being surrounded by criminals. They stood with the Lord knowing that- no matter what- God would protect them. And if God wanted them out, He would get them out.  

Now, go back and read verse 13, and apply that to your life. Just like Paul and Silas did! 

vs 14: "Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:" 

"Sick" means lost, not saved by the Holy Spirit. 

Are you lost? "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag. Drifting thought the wind. Wanting to start again?" Go to the Bible, pray! And if you need help, go to "the elders of the church" go to people who know what they're talking about. The wise, the experienced.  

vs 15: "And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."  

"Sick" meaning lost, or the unsaved. 

"Sin" is an act offense against God. It can be your actions, words, and what you think.

"And the prayer of faith shall save the sick," This is very important to me. Because this is what happened in my life. The prayer to God, has saved me! I was very very sick (lost) until I was shown- by an elder of the church- the Bible. 

Read this: "And the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, They shall be forgiven him.

If you pray the prayer of faith, the Lord will raise you up, and erase your sins. He will erase your crimes- your offenses- against God. And he will forgive you. 

Do you remember how relieved you felt when someone would forgive you for something you did against them? Ask forgiveness to God, and He will forgive you. And that huge weight you have felt, maybe that anxiety you have? Will begin to go away- trust me. Mine goes away the more I spend time with God. 

I hope you enjoyed the first devotion that I've posted. If you want more, please let me know! It would mean a lot. This is one that I've recently done and love so much. I always use it when I am going to share the word, it has become very close to me and I love it so much! I hope you will love it as much as I do. Part 2 will be up next Wednesday, so be alert! Don't forget to vote, comment, and share! Share to someone who you have been praying for for a long time maybe? 

-Olivia Koepp