Prayer and Confession pt. 2

James 5:16-18 

"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit." 

Other references: 

Numbers 11:2, 1 Kings 18:42 and 45, 

vs. 16: "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual prevent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." 

"Faults" means sins. 

"effectual" means intended. 

"availeth" means benefit. 

"Confess your faults." Now, I know no one wants to tell people their faults "sins," if admitted to the person you don't want to find out. It could be humiliating! But, if you tell someone what you have done. They can pray with you- and if you don't have anyone to talk about it to, I can help you. And if it is a sin against a person, go to them and tell them what you've done! It feels so much better than to bottle it up, if you do so it will lift that weight that you have on your shoulders. 

Do you feel like there is literally something on your shoulders pushing you down and you can't take another step and want to just lay down and do nothing? That has happened to me, and what I do is I always go to my Bible. It is the best, most wonderful, most amazing thing that can ever bring you true joy! 

Numbers 11:2 is an example of a effectual and fervent prayer.

vs 17-18: "Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly  that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the earth gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit." 

This is a reference to a bible story in the Old Testament about Elijah going up to the top of Mount Carmel in 1 Kings 18: 42 and 45. And when the Bible references the Old Testament, pay attention, because it's trying to give more support for the New Testament. 1 King 18:42 and 45 says: 

"(42)So Ahab went up to eat and to drink. And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; and he cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees, (45) And it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode, and went to Jezreel." 

Elias is the latinized form for Elijah, so they are the same person. And on that mountain Elijah prayed earnestly for no rain for three years and six months. And God answered the prayer!  And after the three years and six months were over, Elijah prayed again for rain and it did so as Ahab rode to Jezreel in a great rain. Meaning while it down-poured. 

Have the same passion, and trust, and love as Elijah had. He trusted God that he would make it not rain for a span of three years and six months. I encourage you to read the whole of 1 Kings chapter 18. It will give more depth to the whole snippet I have provided. 

Next Wednesday will be the final part of Prayer and Confession, it will be a little short because I will be talking about the last two verses of James 5. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you want more, let me know. And if you have anything to share about this study, let me know too! I found verse 16 to be extremely convicting to me. 

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share! Get the Gospel word out to people, and help me do so! I would love to hear your thoughts. Till next Wednesday!

-Olivia Koepp