LPP Saturday With Story

From , September 2018, 'The Purple Trench Coat And Prince's Style Revolution', by Casci Ritchie @casciritchie :
'In the creation of both the album Dirty Mind and formation of The Revolution, Prince released his own manifesto to the world...It was also during this period that Prince began to formulate a unique visual identity for both himself and his musicians. Enter the embellished beige army surplus trench coat: an accessible, affordable garment that could be easily acquired by almost anyone...There are arguably numerous forces that can be attributed to the trench coat's central place in Prince's early uniform. His admiration of David Bowie, who often wore the garment during his Berlin years in the late 1970s, likely played a part. To be sure, Prince was known to imitate his musical heroes in the style department. During my interview with Chazz Smith, Prince's cousin and drummer of Prince's first band, Grand Central, he reminisced about how the two young cousins would obsessively search secondhand stores in downtown Minneapolis for unusual clothing and accessories, such as the perfect platform shoes to emulate their idol Carlos Santana. The young men, both interested in music from a young age, wanted to stand out from the crowd and recognized the importance of image within the industry...It also seems fitting that a young Prince, who grew up without a lot of money, found his first trench coat at the local army surplus shop.'