Chapter 4

Anya sat alone in the dark with her thoughts for a long time. 

She couldn't help but debate on wether to use Rígr Staffords blood to turn herself into a vampire or not. It was an alluring prospect, she had to admit but she still wasn't quite sure about it. It was afterall an irreversible decision she would make. Furthermore she had to consider the special needs of a vampire, mainly blood. In Sanguinem there were enough reserves that she could freeload for a bit before it would be noticed, but fact was that she wanted out of this damned city. Soon.

She would wait anyway until she was away from Sanguinem and somewhere halfway safe, but it would be best if she found a relativly constant source of food fisrt that she could make use of.

She knew that the ‚Order of the Imperial Demons' would be a problem if they had survived and she planned to avoid them if possible but from what she knew of the organisation they would have considerable military power and protecting their Citys and the humans within. Not out of the good of their hearts of course but for their own gain.

If they had survived.

But before she would come to be able to do anything about it she had to settle the matters of her revenge first.

But she would have to do some serious reconnisance once she was out of Sanguinem, that much was obvious. She simply knew far too little about the current state of the world.

But back to the matter of her revenge.

Anya knew it wouldn't be easy despite her years of training but with a well placed stab to the heart or the slitting of their throat with the knife she should be able to kill them relatively easily, though she should probaly go for their throats considering that the knife is only three and a half inches long, and while technically long enough to pierce the heart it was to short to be probable in reality against a vampire. Furthermore the throat was more accesible and vulnerable to attacks which made it a key weakness that she would have to exploit.

But since they were vampires that would be easily able to overwhelm her she had to set up an ambush for them. And while she knew that plans didn't usually survive first contact with the enemy she would still have to plan everything down to the last detail.

And for that she first needed to familiarize herself with her new weapons in order to be able to factor them into the equation. Something she would undoubtedly need for her revenge to bear fruit.

And so Anya set out for a quiet area to train with her new toys.

Three weeks later the plan was finally finished and about to be set into motion. After careful observation she had concluded that the two City guards would be patroling together on this rotation and that was what she had waited for. For once one was killed the vampires would be on high alarm and it would become nigh impossible for another ambush, and that was what she would need to kill them.

On the Route the patrols took at this time there was a narrow passage that was hard to properly observe and it was there that she had planned the ambush.

—————

It had been a quiet night for the two guards, nothing unusual or suspicious and most of the lifestock had been quiet as well with only one or two being more roudier than usual, but all together nothing unusual or important. Which was why they were taken completly by surprise when they found themselfes sudddenly faced with a wall of rubble where the exit of the passage should have been. A rumbeling reached their ears and they turned to the other direction only to see the way back cut off by rubble as well. The walls were each several meters tall and they couldn't simply jump over them due to the nature of the passage they were in. While the rubble didn't really trap them as they could move it away in an hour easily, it was still an inconvenience and definitly not normal, meaning they had walked into a trap.

But by the time that they had realised that, it was already too late for them.

—————

How they hadn't seen her coming was a mystery to Anya.

As soon as the second rubble wall had come down she had lunged and aimed for their throats cutting them open within seconds of the trap having sprung shut.

It was true that Anya had used the weapons she had found to augment her natural physical abilities but she didn't think that she would actually succeed and that so effortlessly.

While she had trained with the weapons; the Iyashi, the gauntlets and greaves which she had decided to name ‚Beowulf' since she couldn't resist the Irony and the spectral wings which she had decided to call ‚Uyoku'.

During her training she had discovered that the Iyashi gave her slight regeneration while she carried it on her person while also simultaneously increasing her stamina slightly. If the Iyashi touched her bare skin, the healing factor was multiplied and could keep her alive for alot longer than what was usually considered possible.

Beowulf increased her physical abilities whe she had it out and sharpened her senses and instincts. Furthermore it added a slight night vision effect.

Uyoku was the thing she had at first thought of as the least useful aside from the double jump but it actually seemed to give her a speed boost as well which was quite formidable.

And now the training with those weapons proved to be quite a blessing, as she had a clean and swift kill for each of her targets and even managed to escape from the scene undetected before it was even detected that anything was out of the ordinary.

Unbeknownst to Anya however, someone did in fact notice

It was trough no fault of her own as the execution of her plan had been flawless, it had simply been bad luck for her that her observer just happened to have taken a stroll trough the Citys many passages in an attempt to alleviate their boredom and happened to have observed the whole encounter.

„How interesting"

And that is Chapter 4 done. I'd like to think that I have improved my writting.

Furthermore I am happy to share that a rough Idea of how the Story is going to continue has started forming in my head. And since I had the time today I finished Chapter 5 as well.

I hope you enjoy.