Chapter 6

Julia's POV

"And do you perform on stage ?", I curiously asked before taking the last gulp of my beer. 

"Yeah we do. I mean, we're not rockstars yet so we only play small pubs and clubs, but as long as it pays the bills it's fine by me", Tom replied.

"Well, next time you get a gig let me know 'cause I'd love to come. You know how much I loved hearing you play", I genuinely said, immediately regretting the very unnecessary last sentence though.

"I know", he smiled softly, almost sadly, "When you stayed with me after your accident, you reqested that I play for you every single day."

"I remember", the words left my mouth in barely a whisper and I averted my eyes as I felt them starting to water at the mere thought of what my life used to be back then. I had just gotten shot, I could've died or become a paraplegic as a result of it, yet it was most definitely one of the happiest time period of my 32 years of existence. Tragic I know.

"I've missed you Lia", he suddenly stated, completely out of the blue, his low voice snapping me out of my reverie. 

I was taken aback, I had no idea what to respond to that. I wasn't even sure whether I'd heard him correctly or just imagined the whole thing. 

Of course I'd missed him too, but I figured saying it wasn't necessary so I just kept quiet. 

Not wanting an awkward silence to settle between us, I absentmindedly and very stupidly let out the first small talk question that came to mind.

"Anyway, how's your love life going ?", I heard myself uttering. I wanted to slap myself so hard for being so dumb, and even harder for sounding so ridiculously enthusiastic. My face instantly heated up in embarrassment and all I wanted was disappear. 

"My...love life ?", he repeated my words, his brow furrowed. He clearly hadn't seen it coming, but then again, even I hadn't seen it coming. 

"Yeah", I shrugged, trying to act as casual as possible to keep up appearances. "So, is there a special someone in your life ?"

"No", he let out a nervous laugh and started scratching at his scalp. "I haven't had anything serious in years, only flings."

I began feeling nauseous all off a sudden. The hair on both my arms had abruptly stood up, and I could feel all my muscles tightening and some sort of anger rising up inside me. Though I didn't fully comprehnd why, the simple thought of Tom Hanson with another woman was making me sick, so utterly sick that it was extremely difficult for me not to throw up right on the spot. 

"I'm assuming you're still not completely over this one girl you followed here", I blurted, sounding much bitter than I originally intended to. Fortunately, my forced smile was compensating for my tone.

"Nah, I didn't care that much about her. It's definitely not her I never really got over", he declared, looking so deeply into my eyes that for a moment I thought he was peering into my soul.  

We held each other's gaze for a while, until his eyes fell on my left hand that was resting on the bar. 

"You mentioned your engagement yesterday...", he ventured, his brown orbs glued to my only ringed finger. "Who is the lucky guy ?"

"Oh uh...his name is Ben. He's also a musician. We met about one year ago when I was in Germany because of work. I went to some club to have a drink and he happened to be singing in that club." I made a short pause before adding, "I really wasn't looking for anything serious but...yeah."

"I hope he knows your worth."

I would've reassured him on that point, however a  very kind-looking waitress came up to us before I had a chance to.