Chapter 10 - The Date

I stare at the empty rink, analyzing the various gray bricks lining the walls. I feel the chill of the cold air. I look at the images on the walls of hockey players and figure skaters. Photos of the LA kings are everywhere. I see the ice, slick and shiny. I can't wait to get out there.

Maddox walks to the counter and asks for Dave. Dave walks out to greet us and thanks us for coming to the rink. I move closer to Maddox, almost touching his arm but not quite. He notices I've moved closer. He looks down at me with a straight face, unbothered. I'm not sure what I expected from him. We get instructed on the rules and are given skates in our sizes. 

Maddox laces up his hockey skates while I tie my figure skates. Little does he know, I used to figure skate and I'm good at it. I brush the few loose strands of my hair behind my ear and lean down to tie my skates. I can tell he looks a bit confused and nervous, so I take my time getting laced up and ready to go. 

Maddox stands up, wobbling a bit and looking at me with a closed mouth smile. I can tell he's a little uncomfortable but trying not to let his confidence fade. It's now that I get a good look at his outfit. He has on black jeans with rips in the knees. He has a long white tee peeking out the bottom of a black sweatshirt with a jean jacket over top. Lots of layers. I look over at his black high top converse sitting under the bench. He has a good sense of style.

Just then, I really begin to feel the chill of the rink. I rub my arms, trying to add some warmth. I'm wearing a crop top for heaven's sake. Maddox notices me and flashes a small smile.

"A little cold are we?" He asks as he walks closer towards me. I nod my head up and down slowly, thrown off as he moves closer, our faces just a few inches apart. He looks at my shirt and backs up to me. 

"I guess I should have warned you." He adds, his voice raspy and low. He begins to reach back and pull his jean jacket off, staring at me the entire time. I look down at the ground staring at our skates, trying to break the tension.

Maddox takes a small step back and reaches out to me with his jacket in hand. 

"Wear this." He says sternly, his eyes lighting up. I grab the jacket and put it on. I smile and rub my hands up and down my arms, glad to be a bit warmer than before. His jacket is definitely too big for me, it's just past my butt and the sleeves are too long. I like it. It smells like a bit like cinnamon hot chocolate, which makes my heart flutter. 

I hug myself, pulling the jacket closed. 

"Much better," I state, happy and warm. Maddox takes another step back and slightly grabs his bottom lip, admiring me almost. He has this sexy look in his eyes which makes me flush a bit. 

"Looks a lot better on you." He says, staring me dead in the eyes. A smirk appears on his face as he runs his hand through is brown curls, waiting for my response.

I smile and turn around, not saying anything. This is my attempt at hiding my already red face. I do a little silent scream of excitement to myself which he can't see. He makes my heart race but I try to hide that from him. I walk to the rink door and I hear him following behind me. I turn back to see him trying to maintain balance, he's trying to stay confident and not break his bad boy look but I can see a bit of fear in his eyes. 

I open the rink door and by then Maddox has caught up with me. 

"Ladies first." He says wittingly as he motions his arm through the doorway. I grab onto the door and take a step out onto the ice. I haven't been skating in a little while so I stiffen up a little bit. I turn myself in a small circle to look back at Maddox. He's leaning against the door with his arms crossed, watching me intently. I flash a small smile and let out a short laugh, motioning him to come on the ice.

Maddox grabs onto the wall and takes a step out. His other foot joins him. His arm muscles tense as he holds onto the wall for dear life. He starts to shuffle his feet with one hand on the wall. He stands up straight and gives me a look that says 'I've got this.' I can tell he's trying to prove himself. I watch as he tries to take long strides, his brown curls moving around. Maddox moves further from the wall and tries to walk as normal but loses some balance. His arms fly up and move in small circles, in an attempt to regain balance. I laugh as he finally catches himself and prevents an embarrassing fall.

He smirks while looking at me, standing completely still. 

"Nice save," I say jokingly as I skate towards him effortlessly. His eyes widen slightly and I see his mouth open a bit like he's shocked.

"What?" I ask as I circle around him, holding my hands up in a shrug. I know he's surprised and I want to mess with him a bit. 

"You're good." He says sternly, furrowing his eyebrows a bit. Maddox stands up straight as to try and match my confidence. He watches me as I skate around the rink, smiling and laughing at him. His emotions don't change much. 

We skate around the rink for a little while and I try to give him some tips on how to skate better. Holding your arms out like an airplane for balance, marching instead of gliding and making sure not to stare at your feet. He improves a little bit. We have some small surface-level conversations, nothing that really makes me feel like I know him. 

We skate next to each other around the rink a few times. He starts to lose balance and begins to fall, grabbing onto me for support. Instead of me being able to help, I'm pulled to the ground. 

Maddox lands on his back as do I. We are laying right next to each other when I look over at him to see him staring at me with a tinge of worry in his eyes. I begin to laugh and he joins me. We lay there for a minute laughing and I decide to get up. I stand up and reach my hand down to help him up. His hand completely covers my own as he grabs on while looking into my eyes. I quickly break the contact, opting to look at his skates instead. What's wrong with me?

He pulls himself up with my help. When he's almost all the way up, he begins to lose balance again, falling forward into me. He catches himself but his chest is lowered. He begins to stand up straight, only to be inches from my face. He stares into my green eyes as I stare into his. I watch as his eyes move to my lips. Oh no, we can't kiss!  His bright green eyes search my face, looking from my eyes to my lips to my cheeks. What is he looking for?

We continue to stare for a few moments longer. Neither of us says anything as I'm not sure what there is to say, all words have left my mind. Still holding onto my hand, I let go and relax my eyes. Maddox's hand falls to his side as I clear my throat, backing away while letting out a small giggle. I turn my back and skate away, letting my arms fly free with the wind. My heart is in my throat, butterflies in my stomach. What just happened?