Chapter 12: It's Official

As always, thank you for reading, it means so much that people actually think my writing is worth time of their day. or night, no judgement.

"Pete?" Pete wants to reach out and tip Sonny's chin up, tell Sonny not to be so shy.

"Yeah?"

Sonny reaches up as if to lift his cap, but his hand falls back as he realizes he's not wearing it. He sits up in bed so he doesn't have to see Pete's face when he asks, "What are we, exactly?"

Pete swallows, his heart thudding so loudly, he's sure it's going to fly out of his chest. "Boyfriends?" He gets up too, trying to walk casually instead of as if he feels his whole soul is going to die or thrive on the answer.

Sonny bites his lip. Should he say yes? He knows Pete's got experience; what if he's just another conquest? What if Pete breaks his heart? Then again, that possibility still stands when they're not dating.

"Or, well, I guess not." Pete mumbles quickly, but he slaps on a grin and pulls Sonny around to face him.

Sonny really wishes he said yes now, but what can he do? He drinks in shirtless Pete, his abs, his chest-

"But," Pete smiles and the world lights up in the dim morning. "We can be." He lays one hand on Sonny's waist and grabs Sonny's hand with the other. "Sonny de la Vega, will you go out with me?"

Oh my god. "Yes." Sonny whispers, his fingers locking around Pete's. Pete's whole face lights up, and Sonny just knows the clouds have parted- it's so hot they both have their shirts off.

Which is ideal for kissing, Pete is quick to observe. "Good answer," Pete approves, and promptly pins Sonny against the nearest wall in a heated kiss.

Sonny gasps and Pete takes the opportunity to slip his tongue between Sonny's lips, his head turning just a but to slide their mouths together softly. It's easy, like two puzzle pieces meant to be.

Sonny's more shy, his tongue sliding slowly in, timidly exploring Pete's hot, wet mouth as Pete does the same to Sonny with reckless abandon.

Sonny is soft and silky sweet, Pete is rough and tastes slightly like apples.

"It's official," Pete all but pants when they finally pull apart. "I got a boyfriend, bitch."

Sonny kisses Pete's jawline chastely before pulling back a bit more, shyly. "You never had...?" he's blushing.

"Nope, never. Girlfriends, yeah, but they weren't all that fun, you know, 'cuz I'm," Pete stops and runs a hand over his head. "I'm. I'm gay." To say it outloud is to find the piece he's been looking for, the one that's been missing.

"Wow."

"Not a surprise, right? I mean, 'cuz we're-" Here Pete gestures to the two of them, still inches apart.

Sonny just shakes his head. "No, but-" he knows he sounds stupid. "You said it, you know? Outloud. Who else?"

"No one." Pete looks down and sighs. "Well, my dad. But he's... gone now, so." A space that will never be filled.

Sonny takes his hand, squeezing it softly. "I'm sorry."

Pete shakes his head. "Nah, it's fine." He stares at their interlaced fingers. "Who you told?"

"No one. Usnavi... he might be a homophobe."

"Oh." Homophobic has no place in Sonny's puzzle.

"Yeah."

"Well," Pete reasons, you don't know 'till you ask."

Sonny's head jerks up. "I'm not asking. Hell no."

Pete pulls him close, both of them revelling in their chests pressed together, bare skin on skin. "I'm ready when you are."

Sonny relaxes into Pete. "Thanks, you know, for no pressure."

Pete only shrugs. "Common decency. It's nice though, to know people know that piece of you."

Sonny knows what he means. No one can see you whole puzzle if you don't show them all the pieces.

"But until then," Pete smiles, "It's just you and me."

Sonny loops his arms around Pete's neck, pulling him down for another kiss, still not quite believing he can. "It's official."

When Pete waves a reluctant goodbye to go to work, his lips tingling with kisses and his skin still flushed red, neither of them feel too down because every look back is a promise. More. Later. Again.

Sonny catches that promise in his hands, tucks it away into a pocket in his heart where it beats reminders to him all day in the bodega. It gently pushes the broken pieces of the puzzle in his heart closer together. Closer, closer, closer.

Pete takes the same promise with him to work, where José picks up on his glow like it's slapped Pete onto his gaydar, and manages to shine light on one piece of Pete's puzzle, even if the light's only visible to a few: Pete's gay. Teasing reduces Pete to a mess of wide eyes and blushes, but he's smiling.

"Hey Daniela." Sun nearly hits the rooftops when Daniela pops into the bodega for an afternoon coffee. "Tell me something I don't know."

Daniela grinned wide. "Julio and José-" Sonny shoots a glance at Usnavi, but Usnavi doesn't seem disturbed- "are together!!" Daniela narrows her eyes at Sonny as if trying to provoke a reaction- and it works because Sonny's suddenly struggling to breathe.

"Well hello there," Carla giggles, her fingers tapping next to the register where Pete's working. "Can I steal you after your shift? You, your boyfriend, Daniela, and me are having a discussion."

"Can I grab Sonny? Don't worry, he'll get to bed on time," Daniela teases, ruffling Sonny's hair. Sonny rolls his eyes. It's like she's a grandmother, when he knows she's the around same age as Carla- 23.

When Pete's already in the room Daniela drags him to, pieces of the puzzle start falling into place.

Thanks again!! I'm going to be in Japan next time I publish so... if I end up publishing at a weird time, it's the time difference. Probably.

                           -The Worst Writer on Wattpad