Prologue - Tick

Twelve years ago.

3rd Person Point of View.

"Enjoy your last day here, (Y/n), because we'll be moving tomorrow," says a woman with bouncy (h/c) hair, taking a cigarette and pressing it between her teeth. She takes a seat on the bench, not caring about the children who'd witness her action in the middle of the park.

Despite not having anyone to play with, the small five year old agrees. The outside wasn't a place she was fond of, very much. Staying inside and learning to read seemed more preferable than trying to socialize with other people, especially when she couldn't tell who was dead or alive.

She doesn't take any notice of the fact that there's more children on the playground than usual. The reason for the increased number, however, is that an orphanage in the city decided to take the children out for once. Sitting on a swing, a small boy the same age as (Name) avoids interacting as well.

When her mother isn't looking, (Name) pulls out a comic from under her jacket. She sits on of the swings, making little effort to swing and more effort to read about the Adventures of Citrus Man and Peach Woman.

Curiously, the boy beside her leans over. "Is that Citrus Man?" he says, despite seeing the superhero on the cover and fighting crime through the pages she flipped though. He stammers when she glances over at him.

"I-I mean, I think he's really cool! I even got a watch of him!"

The small boy slides down the sleeve on his arm, revealing a beige colored watch with Roman numerals as the numbers. "It's doesn't have him exactly on it, but it's the same color as him! So it counts!" he beams excitedly.

"Are you real?"

The question catches him off guard. "Huh?"

"I said, are you real?" she echoes. It's low and quiet, and Atsushi can't detect any specific kind of emotion, making it hard to tell if she's joking. But the apathy on her face says she's not likely to be.

It's scares him a little, but he replies anyway. "Mhm," he nods, plastering a smile.

"Hmmmm." The girl hums, and it eventually trails off. "Do you know how to read?"

"Yeah! I mean, a little bit, I'm still learning," Atsushi answers sheepishly. (Name) wastes no time in shoving the thin comic in his hands, urging him to take it. A little confused, he does so.

The silver haired boy wasn't lying, but he struggles a little more trying to analyze the text inside the speech bubbles than anticipated. If you were to ask him to read it out loud, he'd only be able to read a word or two from the several lines of sentences on the page.

Despite this barrier, his eyes study the images sprawled on the paper. His face lights up seeing Citrus Man fight again the evil Cabbage King, with his trusty side kick Peach Girl by his side.

"So cool!" he exclaims with wide eyes. (Name) stares, trying to understand how he could be so happy so quickly. It took her long enough to feel satisfaction with most things in her life so far. Moving away from her father was one of the things she wasn't completely against.

"Alright kids! It's time to leave!"

"(Name), I have an errand to run."

Both caretakers of the children beckoned their respective child to come with them. Atushi blinked, then realized what was going on. "Oh!"

He hopped off the swing, being careful not to topple over, and frantically tried to remove his watch. (Name) hopped off as well, but didn't struggle with the landing as much as he did.

"Here!" The beige watch was pressed between his tiny thumb and fingers, his small arm extending towards the other girl. She frowned, confused. In response, Atsushi simply took her hand and opened up her palm, then placed the watch in there.

"For letting me read that book! I hope we meet again tomorrow!" he told her before taking off running towards his caretaker.

It would be over a decade before they reunited.

He waved at her, and (Name) waved back in a more calm manner. She glanced down at the watch, taking a close look at how its hands ticked with each passing second.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

A tick that drives her insane.

Nonetheless, she slips it on with ease, adjusting it to fit the size of her wrists. She heads towards her mother as well, but goes in the opposite direction. Her mother offers her a hand, but the small girl looks away instead. Meanwhile, Atsushi is scolded for losing his watch.

Neither (Name) not Atsushi would realize it yet, but they would reunite in very different circumstances.

Neither of them realized it yet, but they would fall in love hopelessly with each other when those twelve years would come by.

--
I see a lack of Atsushi and wanted to deliver. All the BSD fics I've tried have low key been shit and I'm sad about it. I mean I know my stuff is shit and I'll probably never come up with a steady chapter like this ever again but goddamn they bore me real fast.
Hopefully I'm able to entertain you a bit if you've read this far.

Bungou Stray Dogs doesn't belong to me obviously, and you belong to yourself. Enjoy reading but it's almost impossible with the constant ads.

Also I thought sushi was 15 apparntlyk he's fucking 18 I am shocked.