Chapter 22)

Brianna

I knocked on the door and as soon as it opened, I started talking so I wouldn't lose my courage.

"You fucked up," I started, my voice hard with determination, "you fucked up a lot. You fucked up my life, you fucked up my little brother's life, you fucked up your family's life and, most of all, you fucked up Barney's life. I don't know you, and you don't know me, but I know with every fiber of my being that You. Fucked. Up. You missed out on what could have been a great life with a great guy, and you not only made that guy's life hell, you made him think that one day, he would start fucking everything up just like you did. I know that you contacted him recently, and I don't know why, but I know that Barney's never going to respond to you, but you need to hear it from someone so here I am."

The tall, built man with thick gray hair, lines on his face that did not come from laughing, and bright blue eyes stared down at me and then the corner of his mouth twitched up.

"You must be Brianna," he said in a southern accent very similar to his son's. "Why don't you come inside for a drink."

I blinked and stared, unsure of what to do now that my rant was over. I'm not sure what I expected, maybe for him to cuss me out or slam the door in my face or both, but definitely not for him to smile at me and invite me inside for a drink.

I glanced around and saw a man mowing a lawn at the end of the street, two little boys playing a couple yards down, and a woman jogging past the house. Plenty of witnesses, which means there's nothing he could do to hurt me as long as I don't go inside.

"No," I said.

The grin slipped from his face and he sighed.

"So, I'm assuming from both your speech and your reaction to my offer that Barney has told you everything about me," he said. He didn't sound annoyed or angry, just resigned and...a little sad.

"Yeah," I answered simply.

He nodded and leaned against the door frame as if he as getting settled in.

"How is Barney?"

For the second time in this conversation I was taken aback, unsure of what to do with myself.

"Why?" I asked.

He shrugged and sniffed nonchalantly, looking down at the pavement like it was the most interesting thing he'd ever seen.

"He's my son," he said in a funny voice.

"You didn't treat him like one," I immediately shot back.

"I know that," he snapped, looking up at me. He took a deep breath through his nose and said in a softer tone, "I know. And you're right, I contacted him knowing fully well that he wouldn't respond, and I was prepared for that because I know I deserve it. But, I still want to know about his life. How he's doing."

"He's fucked up," I said without hesitation.

His lips twitched.

"So you mentioned," he mumbled.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"What's your name," I said suddenly, realizing I didn't know.

The small curve of his lips turned into a grin and he stuck out his hand.

"Call me Caleb," he said.

I stared at his hand blankly until he slowly lowered it.

"I'm getting a distinct feeling that you don't like me," he said, folding his arms across his chest.