Epilogue

Epilogue

“Tell her to stop by and put the rough draft on my desk on…” the New York Times Staff Editor flipped through her date book, “Tuesday. Oh and make sure she doesn’t give it to me earlier. It’s very stressful to have to deal with it any sooner than I have to.”  

The woman in professional business attire weaved in and out of passerby’s whilst skillfully balancing her work and phone to her ear. Another work day had passed by for Lauren with only smeared eyeliner and tired eyes to prove for it. She couldn’t wait to go home to her furry ball of joy and a warm bath. But, a 30-40 minute subway ride to Brooklyn still awaited her.  

Not even five minutes later, her device lit up with another call.

“Lauren Jauregui’s phone.”

“Hey, busy bitch.”

“What Alexa?” Lauren deadpanned as she carefully walked down the steps in her heels.

“Do you want to go out for drinks on Saturday? I know you’re going to say no, but I thought I would try because I’m in good spirits.”

Lauren looked down at her date book.

October 23rd:

Go to Mafer’s school

“Sorry, can’t.”

“Why are you laughing?”

“Because I actually have a reason besides “I’m tired”. I’m going to Mafer’s school. It’s her open house and I’m going just to see her,” the green eyed woman smiled at the thought of her little niece.

“Are you shitting me?” It seems that adulthood hadn’t eliminated Alexa’s favored colorful vocabulary. “She’s in first grade, you don’t have to go to her open house.”

“I want to see the art she’s done. She’s a little painter that kid.”

“Yeah alright Jauregui. I get it, you don’t have a kid of your own so you’re getting all excited over Baby Chris’s little devil child. I’ll see you on Sunday anyway so you have fun.”

“You love Mafer. I know you try to hide it by calling her a devil child and all but you’re only fooling yourself. I’m the best aunt a child could have.”

“Whatever, Laur. I have Monday off so who’s the real winner here.” The last thing Lauren heard was Alexa’s laughter over the line before it went dead.

“Ugh,” the brunette laughed and contently breathed in the crisp Autumn, smog filled air, “what a bitch.”

_______________________

“Today is such a great day. Isn’t everything so beautiful, Aunt Lauren? Have you ever seen colors and realized how great they are?” the little girls eyes gleamed like stars as she seemed to take in every sight that they drove past. The name “Lauren” came out more as “Wauwen” from the child's mouth.

Lauren watched Mafer in awe through the rearview mirror as best as she could while still driving safely. Her brother Chris next to her and his wife in the back seat, seemingly not affected by their daughters behavior. 

“Where’d you learn that?” Lauren wasn’t sure she asked in the right words, but she didn’t know how else to put it.

“My teacher showed me. She said to always look for things I like and to smile every morning I wake up. She showed me how to look at colors. Do you do that, Aunt Lauren?” the little one cocked her head curiously Lauren’s way.