9

I walk upstairs to my room and grab my black backpack that I haven't touched since my last day of college. This is really happening. My mom just kicked me out of the house.

Tears begin to fall from my eyes as I pack my bag. I throw in all my toiletries, makeup, and drawing stuff in my backpack and toss everything else, including my clothes, into a suitcase.

I grab my phone and dial Liv's number. It's rings and rings, but I just get her voicemail. I wipe my eyes and grab my bags before walking downstairs. My mom is still sitting on the couch watching some sort of reality TV show. I take one last glance at her and then leave the house without saying any goodbye.

I toss my bags in their trunk and decide to go to Liv's apartment to see if she's home. I'd hate to ruin her night, especially if she has her boyfriend over or something, but I'm kind of in a desperate situation right now.

The rain pours down hard as I make my way through the Los Angeles streets. Again, my windshield wipes aren't working the best, but they'll have to do.

Eventually, I pull up at Liv's apartment. I walk through the rain without my bags. I want to make sure she's home first.

I get on the elevator and immediately feel more depressed than I'm already feeling. That same song that played in the elevator earlier today with Van was on. Jesus, why do I have to be so complicated? Van probably hates me. He wanted to help me and I pushed him away. Why? Because I'm crazy dramatic.

The elevator opens and I walk out as quickly as I can. Once I reach Liv's apartment, I knock a few times. It doesn't look like anyone's home since there's no light peaking through the bottom of the door. After a few minutes, I give up. She's not home.

•~~~~~

I sit in my car and lean my head on the steering wheel. It's pouring, my mom kicked me out, my friend isn't home, and Van probably hates me. It doesn't get much worse than this.

The tears start back up again, and I just sit in my car, feeling hopeless and worthless. I keep my phone on, expecting a call from either my mom, telling me she's sorry, or from Liv, telling me she's home. Twenty minutes pass and neither happen.

Okay, I have to find somewhere to stay. I'll drive around until I find a motel or something. My engine starts and I flick the windshield wipers on.

And then off.

And then on again.

But nothing ever happened.

So, now my windshield wipers are broken. There's way too much rain to be driving without windshield wipers. I couldn't see a thing. The tears in my eyes didn't help my vision, either.

I slam my hand against the steering wheel in aggravation. "Really?" I ask, despite being the only person in the room.

Maybe I should call Van. He seems like my last option. He's going to be mad at me, I think, but I really have no other options.

I pick my phone up and open up Van's contact. My finger hovers over the 'phone' button for a solid minute before I finally give in and press it.

•~~~~~

VAN'S POV

I'm sitting on the couch with the lads watching some random news station. They're saying the storm is going to get pretty bad real quick and that people should remain indoors for a while until it passes. I try my best to pay attention, but all I can think about is Kathy. She hates storms; I hope she's doing okay. And her family; I hope they're okay as well.

My thoughts are interrupted by a phone call. I pull my phone from my pocket and see that is was Kathy calling me. Is this a joke? Maybe she butt dialed me.

"I'll be back in a few. I have to answer this," I tell the lads and run upstairs to my room.

I press answer and put the phone up to my ear. "Kathy?" I ask, confused. She seemed so angry when she left. I figured it would be me calling her, not the other way around.

"V-Van?" She stutters, her voice sounding weak. The sound of rain was extremely noticeable on her end of the call. Was she outside?

"Kathy, are you okay? Where are you?" I ask, immediately growing concerned.

"I'm in my car," she tells me. "And... no, I'm not okay," she adds in a quiet voice. I hear her choke back a sob.

"Kathy, can you go inside your house? You're worrying me," I say.

She whimpers before speaking again. "I-I can't," she breathes.

"Can I ask why?" I ask. I know, from a couple previous mistakes, that her family was kind of a hard thing to talk about for her. I wasn't sure if her not being able to go inside was due to her parents or not.

"My Mom doesn't want me home," she sobs.

"Kathy, can you drive over to my place, then? I want you in a safe place," I tell her, concern filling my voice.

"My windshield wipers don't work so I can't see anything when I drive," she whispers.

"Then I'm going to come and get you," I tell her. "Can you tell me where you are?"

"Van, I'm sorry about everything," she says. "I shouldn't get so upset..."

"Hey, hey, hey, it's okay. We can talk more later, but I just want to come find you. I want you to be safe. This storm looks like it's only getting worse," I say. I put her on speaker phone while I grab my shoes and tie them.

"Sorry... I'm at 388 Hilton road. It's just across from the Safeway," she tells me.

"Okay, I know exactly where that is. I'll be there in about fifteen minutes. Just stay right there. Sound good?" I say while standing up and grabbing my keys.

"Sounds good," She says into the phone.

"Okay, I'll see you soon. Don't go anywhere," I tell her calmly.

•~~~~~

I run downstairs. "Hey, lads, I have to go pick up Kathy. I'll be back in a few," I tell them before rushing out the door, not waiting for a reply. I get in my car and immediately starts driving.